Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period
So, honestly, I dont think it's a scam. I think its trying to jump on AirBNB, lease back planes, heck their are time share cars, trend, but I wouldn't want to be on either end of this deal. I really think there are going to be 2 disappointed parties, and somebody is going to be out money.

And yes, the thing with planes is very real. Businesses that own a plane will often only use it a couple days a month, and then through a company, lease it for charter flights; But that's a professional pilot, not a random homeowner renting you plan... Probably 12-15 years ago, I worked on a hangar at a mid sized airport, for a company that did this, and lease pilots out, for company planes. Funny part, a company that I had quit/been fired/laid off (called me it to let me go, but I already had a job that started at noon before the meeting) had their Citiation in the hangar when we where doing punch out... Nothing Homeland security happened, I was a good boy, but the thought crossed my mind, for all of about 5 seconds.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period
Anyone see the AirBNB style hunting land thing? You rent a piece of property for 1 week period for hunting. Seen it advertised in mags/online.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #43  
I loaned out my old ford 3000 and got it back needing a new starter
I didnt charge the guy for damages because I was the one that loaned it out but it taught me a lesson!

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #44  
Here's a thought. Suppose a scam artist posts pictures of some guy on a tractor and writes this story. A sucker falls for it sending money (in person, mail, wire bank transfer).
"Tractor will be delivered next Tuesday"...and Tuesday never comes. Scammer left town or maybe not even there...fake everything.
Read the listing carefully...was that written by someone with a PhD?

Last edited:
   / Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #45  
I didnt charge the guy for damages because I was the one that loaned it out but it taught me a lesson!
Another Ford 3000! I wonder how many of those are out there still in use? They made a ton of them with options like gas or diesel, different transmissions, and more.
Comparable full sized TLB like a deere 310 only rents for about $2k/month around me. I know its not a tractor.....but he is kinda advertising it as a TLB. And a pathetic 5' mower on that machine :ROFLMAO:

And how would any warranty issues be handled without owner present or wanting to be bothered

You can rent a 310 for 2000/month?? Are you sure? That seems way low. That's about $100/day. I'd have thought it would be that much an hour. Or do hours cost extra? Maybe that's it.

rScotty

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #46  
So I saw locally, on FB Marketplace, a Canadian snow bird renting out his 85hp tractor for a 6 month period for $1750/month, while he lives back up north. Never heard of anyone doing this. I dont know if I think its a clever way to make 12 months of payments off someone's 6 month 'lease', or a terrible idea. He goes on for probably 3 paragraphs about getting it back in perfect condition, you covering it on your own insurance, you doing all the maintenance, ect. I'm not considering renting, just something odd I saw for the first time.View attachment 799461View attachment 799462

Seems like you might be about 25% below rental yard prices; but locked into 6 months, and insurance, maintenance are 100% of renter.
I cannot believe ANYONE would even consider this rental!!! I am a total loss as to how to return his perfect tracto in perfect condition after 1000, or even less, hours of work. RUN from this 'deal'.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #47  
Ahh, aircraft leaseback agreements . . .

These are tailor made for non-flying doctors who need big tax deductions and couldn't care less about the condition of the equipment.

It lets the FBO get access to an expensive asset using none of their own money, riding on someone else's credit and financial situation. Since the aircraft is now in commercial use, it needs an inspection every 100 hours, not just annually. Owner pays, not the FBO. Somehow the aircraft always needs major, expensive work just before the FBO owner's rent/mortgage/boat payment/alimony payment is due. Again, owner pays, not the FBO. Net result is invariably strong negative cash flow for the owner (which is tax deductible), positive cash flow for the FBO with zero investment (and FBOs are chronically underfinanced), and an airplane that is beat to **** from being flown hard and put away wet. Renter says "Here's the keys, bye" and has no further interest in the airplane. The FBO also charges to clean out the McDonald's wrappers, wads of chewing gum, spilled drinks, used barf bags, and so on. If you really, actively HATE your airplane, do a leaseback.

Someone I know was in the car rental business, if possible, that's even worse. Most people hardly take care of their own stuff, how can we expect them to take care of ours?

Stay away, here be financial dragons and hurricanes of litigation. Cat 5, too.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #48  
So I saw locally, on FB Marketplace, a Canadian snow bird renting out his 85hp tractor for a 6 month period for $1750/month, while he lives back up north. Never heard of anyone doing this. I dont know if I think its a clever way to make 12 months of payments off someone's 6 month 'lease', or a terrible idea. He goes on for probably 3 paragraphs about getting it back in perfect condition, you covering it on your own insurance, you doing all the maintenance, ect. I'm not considering renting, just something odd I saw for the first time.View attachment 799461View attachment 799462

Seems like you might be about 25% below rental yard prices; but locked into 6 months, and insurance, maintenance are 100% of renter.
Please don't hold this against Canadians! I am a Canadian and also think this guy offering the tractor is a wingnut.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #49  
Anyone see the AirBNB style hunting land thing? You rent a piece of property for 1 week period for hunting. Seen it advertised in mags/online.

What would concern me most about that idea ... is Squatters. They would never leave, while citing that they had your permission and rights to be there, - months later. A complete hassle / hustle in my opinion.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #50  
My father never loaned out his tractors. He was more than happy to go help somebody out, but he was always in the seat.
Except ONE time... he let a friend use the 8N. He'd known the guy since they were in school together so wasn't very concerned. We heard it coming back and knew immediately something was wrong... the guy had hit a stump and broken the exhaust manifold. Father never said a thing while I was around at least. He took it off, welded it up and put it back together. Then never loaned anything again.