Gunk/Varnish Build Up On Engine Oil Plug

/ Gunk/Varnish Build Up On Engine Oil Plug
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.
Ruffdog, it had occurred to me that it might be something along the lines of a factory thread sealer like you mentioned. My only reason for dismissing that possibility earlier was, as Hay Dude suggested, I think I would've noticed it during the first oil change.

I've left a message with my dealer (Knoxland Equip.) asking about the possibility of it being factory thread sealer.

As for the copper crush washer, I realize they are intended to be one-time use. I thought I had a couple spares on hand, but I guess I don't. I've ordered some. As def38 suggested, if I have to reuse a copper crush washer I like to heat them briefly with a torch and clean them up a little with a scuff pad. I've had a pretty high success rate with reusing them by doing this.

I've got a couple Blackstone test kits on the way as well, so I'll send out some of the Mahindra oil and report back when I get the results.

The dealer gave us a deal on everything we would need for the 50 hr. service, thus the Mahindra oil. I doubt I'll be using that stuff ever again.

On a side note, I did my first stone-cold startup of the tractor with the 5w-40 synthetic this morning. With the Mahindra 15w-40 oil, if the ambient outdoor temp was anything less than 10*F, my tractor simply would not start without being plugged in. Didn't matter how many times I cycled the glow plugs. You could tell there was just so much resistance from the thick oil, the engine really struggled to turn over. Lots of exhaust smoke, but it just seemed like it wouldn't crank hard enough to fire the engine.

Just for comparison purposes, I tried to start it at 5*F this morning after the tractor sat all night without being plugged in. One glow plug cycle, hit the key and could instantly tell the engine turned over with significantly less resistance. Fired up after about three seconds of cranking, which absolutely would never have happened with the thick 15w-40 in the case.

So, big thumbs up from me on the 5w-40 synthetic. As I've previously said, it's what I should've used at the 50 hr. service without a doubt.

/ Gunk/Varnish Build Up On Engine Oil Plug #12  
Dont worry about the plug or the washer either if its not leaking.

/ Gunk/Varnish Build Up On Engine Oil Plug #13  
Interesting comment about the WalMart oil…
Never knew Warren Petroleum made it!
LSNE (learn something new everyday)
Thanks
I have always used the Walmart brand full synthetic oil in my beater trucks with no issues.I also use Wix XP oil filters.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 158

/ Gunk/Varnish Build Up On Engine Oil Plug #15  
I have seen plastic washers used for a
seal and they do get brittle

willy