Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies
I have just ordered a new OEM Briggs carb kit to be installed in a few days once it arrives. In the meantime, I do appreciate the many good suggestions for what is going on with this old B&S 16 hp L head cast iron engine, horizontal shaft. It’s true monster of an engine, but has tons of torque when running properly. To all who suggest replacing the condenser, it was the first thing I did before anything else. So, for now I’m ruling that out, unless every other suggestion proves fruitless as well. Then will try a second new condenser.

As for the fuel filter, as mentioned above, I have replaced it with what is recommended in the parts manual, using a metal filter about 1.5“ X 2.5” not counting the inlet & outlet tubes. It has an arrow showing the correct direction of flow. Gasoline flows readily through it. As for the little screens mentioned…I haven’t found any other than the two elbow fittings at the bottom of the tank. I couldn’t see inside the tank to tell whether or not they have screens on them, but maybe. Whether they do or not, gasoline flows freely from the elbows when the hoses are pulled.

If you haven’t seen the carb on these engines, it is a two piece carb, with the intake air entering at the top, but then diverted 90 degrees into the carburetor. This carb also has a Welch plug at the rear of it, about the size of a frost plug on a liquid cooled engine. The high speed needle/jet faces downward at an angle of about 50 degrees. The low speed needle/jet sits horizontally at the top of the carb. The float needle is independent of both, and is only accessible by disassembling the carb. So, here’s a strange observation. Normally, the float needle seats in a removable brass fitting. On this carb, none was present. Huh? Well, it wasn’t in there and the engine had been running fine, so this remains somewhat of a puzzle. How can a steel needle seat into pot metal? I will be putting on my magnifier hood this time around, to inspect that mystery more closely. With the kit not yet here, I don’t know if I will discover a brass seat included or not. If I do, then someone has been in there before and didn’t put it back in. But, if that were true, how would the engine run fine for many years without any issues. Also, how could a needle seat perfectly in molded pot metal without allowing the fuel bowl to overfill and leak? Soaking the carb to clean it properly, then replacing all replaceable parts with new should remove the carb from the suspect list of what is causing the problem. With any luck, it will fix the problem!
The other mystery is the appearance of blue smoke from the muffler when quickly opening the man butterfly valve. Usually, the engine responds by instantly increasing rpms. Right now, it sputters a bit, increases in rpm less instantly, and smokes a bit more than lightly until the engine rpms return to idle, at which time there is no smoke. Perhaps the smoke is from an ounce or two of Seafoam I added to one gallon of fuel. Oh, the fuel is 91 octane non-oxygenated fuel, containing zero ethanol. I have typically used this same fuel for nearly 40 years in this tractor without any problems before. Plus, it’s $5.19 per gallon, a dollar more than garden variety E10 which contains 10% ethanol.
As mentioned, I didn’t unscrew the port on the engine block where the pulse/vacuum line to the fuel pump is connected. The pulse line, according to the service manual, is supposed to be looped around the dip stick tube. It currently is not, but when I replaced the original Walbro 3000 all metal fuel pump with the new Walbro 3000 plastic pump, I made a new bracket so as to raise the pump about 5” above where the original pump was mounted. I did this to make sure the pump was mounted higher than the port on the block where the pulse line connects, as this is recommended in the manual to prevent oil from draining out of the engine block and working by gravity to the fuel pump through the pulse/vacuum line. If this happens, evidently problems occur, although the manual didn’t describe what those would be. I suspect extra oil into the pump, then mixed with gasoline on the way to the carb, ultimately ending up with issues similar to what I am experiencing. But, that’s just my guess as to what happens.
At this point, my focus will be on making sure the fuel system is working as it should. If that doesn’t yield positive results, then the electrical system will be next, with the coil being in the bullseye. As I mentioned before, it’s last on my list due to where it is located. It’s located above the flywheel which is accessible ONLY by pulling the engine from the tractor. On the Groundsmaster 52, this means removing the seat, the entire top cover of the chassis, the fuel tank again, followed by disconnecting the driveshaft, then using the engine crane (did I mention this is a heavy cast iron beast?) to lift the engine out after removing the engine mounts. Truth be told, it’s not a small task, so it’s dead last on the list of possibilities to check off as to what is causing the problem. I’ve been down that route twice before when the doggone Welch plug fell out of the carburetor and allowed dirt to be sucked into the engine, resulting in a rebore the first time and an entire new short block the second time. That was over 1000 hours ago, after we JB Welded the Welch plug in after the second disaster. I have one more re-bore possible on the second short block, but I’m hoping that is another 500 hours away.
Well, that’s where it stands today. Hope to have the carb kit installed by week’s end, and will report what the results are. Again, many thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions, some already implemented, some not yet. I’m waiting on a spark tester yet, too, as that suggestion was well taken and will be tried in due time.

Vvm

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #42  
One thing I’d try is this, if you haven’t already.

You say the engine starts to die, but if you choke it, it starts to run better.

Have you tried shutting the throttle down to idle? That would lessen the demand for fuel. If the engine starts to run normally at idle, then you power it up and it starts to die again, you kinda know it’s all fuel related.

Choking shuts off air to the mixture.
Throttling back decreases the demand for air.
Same effect yet at different RPMs.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #43  
For those that have never seen a Toro Groundsmaster 52 front deck mower:
gm 52 r.jpg
gm 52.jpg
gm 52 e.jpg

Pictures from an image search.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #44  
Neat little machine. I’m a big fan of out-front mowers.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #45  
If the fuel pump is like what Rotax uses on some engines it is a diaphragm with fuel on one side and engine vacuum pulses on the other side. In the case of Rotax, the pulse line is connected to the crankcase and the piston moving up and down causes the pulsing which causes the diaphragm to move back and forth. A couple of reed valves on the fuel side cause it to be pumped through to the carb. The issue with having the pump above the crankcase fitting is to make sure any splashed oil drains back into the engine and out of the pump. If the pump gets swamped with oil it will reduce or completely cut off the ability of the diaphragm to move. Rotax solved this problem by drilling a little tiny weep hole in the housing on the vacuum side of the diaphragm with instructions to make sure the pump is mounted with the hole pointed down. Any accumulated oil or condensation will drain out the weep hole.

That is a mower and engine worth preserving. Good luck with your issue.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #46  
The needle and seat is odd. Both being steel. Worst case, it wouldn't seat well and engine would run rich, or at least gas would fill the elbow to air cleaner. This came on suddenly I guess.
Does the needle have a point on it as it should? Or did the rubber tip on the needle disappear? On most old B&S carbs the rubber is the Seat. With a pointy steel Needle.
Blue smoke indicates burning oil. MAYBE. the rubber Seat or Needle tip is gone and you are getting gas into the Crank. Check your oil level. Smell the oil for a gassy smell.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #47  
I was told to never run E10or any ethanol blend in older equipment, I only run Premium in my power equipment including a 1970 rototiller.
We do not have E fuel here in panama but remember back in Canada some people would wash the fuel to get it out for mowers and chainsaws. To wash get a clear jug, those 5 gallon water jugs for sale at grocery stores are good. Drink water or water plants. Put 4 gallons of gas in jug and a cup of water. Mix the best you can for a minute and let settle and the water will absorb the alcohol . Siphon the clean gas off the top.

One thing I’d try is this, if you haven’t already.

You say the engine starts to die, but if you choke it, it starts to run better.

Have you tried shutting the throttle down to idle? That would lessen the demand for fuel. If the engine starts to run normally at idle, then you power it up and it starts to die again, you kinda know it’s all fuel related.

Choking shuts off air to the mixture.
Throttling back decreases the demand for air.
Same effect yet at different RPMs.
Don’t know why I didn’t think to mention this before, but you are correct….throttling it down and it purrs like a kitten for as long as I want it to. Throttle it up and it runs rough, seems starved. No backfiring. This is consistent with wife’s observation that if she stopped forward motion while mowing, the engine would restore itself to normal operating speed again until attempting to move ahead. The air cleaner is not plugged, and is nice and clean. How being fuel starved would lead to some blue smoke is unclear to me. As mentioned above, I added an ounce or two of Seafoam yesterday when I put one gallon of fresh fuel into an empty tank. I have had additives cause smoke before on other engines when the additives were in an excessive quantity, so maybe that. There is no black smoke at any time, as one would expect from a rich fuel mixture.

We do not have E fuel here in panama but remember back in Canada some people would wash the fuel to get it out for mowers and chainsaws. To wash get a clear jug, those 5 gallon water jugs for sale at grocery stores are good. Drink water or water plants. Put 4 gallons of gas in jug and a cup of water. Mix the best you can for a minute and let settle and the water will absorb the alcohol . Siphon the clean gas off the top.
That’s new information for me. Never heard of “washing” gasoline before. Thanks for sharing the know-how.

/ Groundsmaster 52 runs 10 minutes, then dies #50  
Volvoman, I just fixed a briggs motor that was doing the same thing. Some briggs motors have a spring loaded fuel shut off valve that shuts off the fuel when you shut the key off to keep it from backfiring when you turn the key off. It is a round insert that goes directly into the carb. there is a spring loaded needle valve inside that has a wire lead to it. if that wire breaks or the 12 volt is interrupted ti will shut off most of the fuel. My teck expert told me to unscrew the valve housing and cut the needle off. That saved me $50 for a replacement.