gripes

/ gripes #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
Two things bug me on line: only two choices given for some ads--notify me later or ignore. I quit McAfee a while back for another antivirus program. I still get notices to renew or accept the risk. Another is for other choices, to buy or to notify me later. Never a third choice to quit sending me the messages.

End of rant.

/ gripes #2  
I didn't like McAfee several years ago - I don't recall why. I went to Ad Aware by Lavasoft - German, I think. The price is right (free) and so far it's done the job.

/ gripes #3  
Long time user of AVG spam and identity protection. Adblocker plus for browser clarity, minimal ads
McAfee was a nuisance program.

/ gripes #4  
I'm a Webroot guy myself, it runs very efficiently, don't even realize it is there. Have had great results using them for years.

/ gripes #5  
Two things bug me on line: only two choices given for some ads--notify me later or ignore. I quit McAfee a while back for another antivirus program. I still get notices to renew or accept the risk. Another is for other choices, to buy or to notify me later. Never a third choice to quit sending me the messages.

End of rant.
Usually at the very bottom of the screen in type so small only the Hubble telescope could read it, there should be a link to "Unsubscribe" or Unsubscribe "here". Doesn't show up as a link, you have to find it, then click on the word.

Also, if you're using Windows, or IOS you can add an "Ad Blocker Plus" extension to your browser (Chrome, Brave, Firefox) to block all ads. I haven't had a pop up ad in years since I added the extension, and there is even a special pop up blocker for You Tube as well you can install.

/ gripes #6  
The McAfee crap was bad, but Norton Antivirus was even worse. Slowed the computer down enough to almost make it unusable.
I used AVG until MS came out with their Defender app. Been using it for a long time and have never had a problem.

/ gripes
Also, if you're using Windows, or IOS you can add an "Ad Blocker Plus" extension to your browser (Chrome, Brave, Firefox) to block all ads. I haven't had a pop up ad in years since I added the extension, and there is even a special pop up blocker for You Tube as well you can install.
I use Firefox, with an ad blocker. That does not stop the McAfee popup. Maybe I need to use a different one?

/ gripes #8  
I've found Ad Blocker Plus here on FireFox is about the best. I still get a few ads - nothing like it use to be.

/ gripes
I've found Ad Blocker Plus here on FireFox is about the best. I still get a few ads - nothing like it use to be.
Added that. Will see if it works.

/ gripes #10  
I use Ghostery on mine, in addition to ad blocking it also supposedly limits the ability of sites to track you.
Nothing I've found will block the popups on many e-commerce sites to the effect of "sign up for our email list and we'll give you 10% off your first order".
To me another "must have" is an HTML5 blocker that prevents embedded videos from auto-playing.
I use Chrome, not sure with other browsers.

I used AVG until MS came out with their Defender app. Been using it for a long time and have never had a problem.
I still have AVG on a Windows 7 laptop I use for work. Very annoying...first thing it does when you boot up is try to update, which slows down the PC until it finishes, then requires you to X out of several windows. Not to mention random pop ups from time to time. Lots of the worksites where I use it (as well as hotel wi-fi) have rather slow internet which makes this even more of a PITA. On my home (Win 10) computer I just use MS Defender...not quite as versatile but seems to do the job.
I use Firefox, with an ad blocker. That does not stop the McAfee popup. Maybe I need to use a different one?
An ad blocker is only going to block popups/ads that come thru your browser, it won't do a thing for popups from another program running on your computer (such as McAfee).