Grilling oysters tonight

/ Grilling oysters tonight
So, were they as good as they looked?

Even better! My wife hates raw oysters but she'll eat the heck out of grilled oysters. The live oysters were $6.95/dozen in Corpus Christi. I should have left there with a cooler full.

This was my first time ever dealing with whole oysters and it was a learning experience. They're little buggers to get opened!! I bought an oyster shucker thing, but they clamp themselves shut pretty tight. I learned if I put them in the sink and put running water over them a few times, they start to loosen up. Then I pry them open near the hinge end (there's usually a little knob or crevice you can pry).

Maybe someone who knows what they're doing can share some tips on the best way to open them. I can't imagine folks at oyster bars have to exert the effort I did to get them opened, there must be some secret to it.

My BIL is down at the condo on the coast this week, I might get him to haul back a few more dozen for me.

/ Grilling oysters tonight #13  
If you're going to be grilling oysters anyway...they can be put on the grill whole and the heat will open them and they can be half shelled etc...add whatever garnishes and put back on the grill...they can also be steamed open in a covered steam pot...when they first open the edges will be just starting to wrinkle...they often close back up when removed from the heat...

To shuck a raw oyster it is best to wear a glove (they make shucking gloves)...slightly force the rounded point of the oyster knife into the hinge with a light twist back and forth...they should pop...then slide the knife in flat ways inside the top shell to release it...

/ Grilling oysters tonight #14  
Wow! Those look absolutely delicious. And the rest of the meal as well. The wife and I were in Grapevine last May and had many great Texas wines. We brought a bunch home; now they are gone.:mad:

/ Grilling oysters tonight #15  
Yummy! I like oysters on the grill. Like Slash says, just throw them on the grill and they'll pop open when done and eat them right off the grill.

/ Grilling oysters tonight #16  
I like them raw but did try them fried one time. I may have to put a few on the grill this summer.
If you are seafood / grill fan, try littlenecks on the grill... really nice way to cook them.

/ Grilling oysters tonight #17  
I like them raw but did try them fried one time. I may have to put a few on the grill this summer.
If you are seafood / grill fan, try littlenecks on the grill... really nice way to cook them.

You might explain to this land-locked flatlander what "littlenecks" are.

/ Grilling oysters tonight #19  
Littlenecks are a local name in N.E. Also delicious. Raw, broiled, fried, baked... oysters, clams, mussels... Yum.

/ Grilling oysters tonight #20  
Littlenecks are a local name in N.E. Also delicious. Raw, broiled, fried, baked... oysters, clams, mussels... Yum.

Yum, yum . . . love it all . . . and out my way they are all an easy find and good for some energy expended . . . :drink: