Green Corn Down

/ Green Corn Down #11  
It's too late for you this year, but I like to hill my corn just as I do my potatoes, although not quite as aggressively.

/ Green Corn Down #12  
Look at - Earthway Precision Garden Seeder. This is what we used when we had corn. You can get "seeding disks" for just about every type of seed you would want in a garden... $100. They will dig the furrow to the correct depth - deposit seeds at the correct frequency - cover the furrow with a small drag chain & the rear wheel will pack down the soil. The ground has to be "broken" & tilled first.

I don't know if your plot is an animal food plot or for your consumption. That corn has been planted so thick - you will be very lucky to get many full sized, mature ears. If it's for the animals - not to worry.

/ Green Corn Down #13  
^^^^
You also don't want to use it just after a rain storm or it will get all mucked up, the seeds won't come out properly and you will end up covering them with a rake anyways.

Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

/ Green Corn Down
Those $100 gizmos didn't appear to me to be worth $10 when I looked at them in a store. Rickety comes to mind. I want to find a two row planter for my 3 point since I have one now, but they're ridiculously expensive. I found a few old (spelled antique) ones for a couple of hundred, but I'm not sure they'd work long, if at all.

The other section a few hundred feet away broke the surface, but that's about all. None of the stalks are more than a foot tall and they're all yellowed. This was a test are to see if anything would even grow at all. Next year, I'll have to try and get some soil samples done and see what they call for.

/ Green Corn Down #15  
^^^^^
They work surprisingly well, and put out seed a little too easily sometimes. My father used one for years and used it to put in a big garden with lots of corn and peas. The one that I have came from a building which was torn down after the camp lease was cancelled, and I've been using it for 10 years or more.

/ Green Corn Down
Oh well. Hope they enjoyed it.

Corn1.jpg Corn2.jpg

May have a two row lined up to borrow next year if it will fit my blue toy. Not sure if it's Cat 1 or Cat 2 yet, but I've got a few months to find out.

/ Green Corn Down #17  
This is the time of year to re-up this thread. The "planter" I mentioned in post#12 work exceptionally well. We used it every year to plant the row crop veggies in our garden. Corn, carrots, beets, peas, beans - etc. Saves a LOAD to time and ensures the seeds are properly planted.