Grease Gun Modification

/ Grease Gun Modification #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Was out prowling yard sales the other day and picked up a nice lever action grease gun for just a few $$$... Much to my dismay it will not accept grease cartridges ...Seems the rubber plunger (seal) is to big to fit into a cartridge but a cartridge does fit tube properly.... Believe its old style gun with bulk fill (by hand) ...... Doing stare and compare with another grease gun I have it seems everything but the seal is the same (dimensionally) .... I can probably grind off the little tabs that lock seal from coming off shaft and remove old seal... And securing new seal to shaft would be no problem, as I can probably braze or tack weld a washer to end of shaft for new "retainer"... Or maybe thread end of shaft and put a nut on it....

Question is can I actually put this seal on shaft.... Yes I know it is for a Milwaukee brand, (my gun is no name) but it's the "style" of seal that accepts the cartridge grease containers...

Rubber Seal [45-6-89] for Milwaukee Power Tools | eReplacement Parts

What do you think?

Dale

Last edited:
   / Grease Gun Modification #2  
Bet you could convert the gun by swapping out the 'seal'.

btw, I dedicated my bulk-fill gun to flowable grease, '00' etc.

/ Grease Gun Modification #3  
Yrs back grease guns could be converted from bulk fill(5 gal can) to cartridge fill by removing cap with handle & piston from GG barrel & rolling edge of seal over then reassemble GG. IIRC this modification was performed on Lincoln brand GG

/ Grease Gun Modification
Yrs back grease guns could be converted from bulk fill(5 gal can) to cartridge fill by removing cap with handle & piston from GG barrel & rolling edge of seal over then reassemble GG. IIRC this modification was performed on Lincoln brand GG

Only problem with this GG is it has a seal sandwiched between two metal plates and there is no lip to roll back....

Order the seal mentioned above anyway, will will see how it works out when it arrives in a few days...

Dale

/ Grease Gun Modification
Yes it can be done! .... Parts arrive today and work began..

Removed plunger rod from barrel and filed off ears retaining old seal.... Pulled old seal off.... Slid new backup washer and new seal on rod... Found out rod was 5/16 and I did not have 5/16 threading die So I could put nut on shaft, so I dropped a washer over rod, tack welded washer to end of rod ...

Inserted cartridge in barrel and screwed it on to head, screwed plunger/seal assembly on to base of barrel....

Done... It works....

n0-3.jpg

Yes I fat fingered spelling on one label in picture....

Dale

Last edited:
   / Grease Gun Modification #6  
Yes it can be done! .... Parts arrive today and work began..

Removed plunger rod from barrel and filed off ears retaining old seal.... Pulled old seal off.... Slid new backup washer and new seal on rod... Found out rod was 5/16 and I did not have 5/16 threading die So I could put nut on shaft, so I dropped a washer over rod, tack welded washer to end of rod ...

Inserted cartridge in barrel and screwed it on to head, screwed plunger/seal assembly on to base of barrel....

Done... It works....

View attachment 644217

Yes I fat fingered spelling on one label in picture....

Dale

Good job, old grease guns are a hard find at garage sales now a days, I think most people chuck them into the garbage cans...

KC