Grease around fittings. . .

/ Grease around fittings. . . #11  
I like to keep my tractor nice and clean, but I draw the line at going crazy with keeping the grease points real clean. I generally wipe off the zerk, and remove excess grease with a finger swipe.
The stuff that migrates to the paint, which I believe what the op is concerned about, I wipe off with degreaser and a shop towel.

/ Grease around fittings. . .
I like to keep my tractor nice and clean, but I draw the line at going crazy with keeping the grease points real clean. I generally wipe off the zerk, and remove excess grease with a finger swipe.
The stuff that migrates to the paint, which I believe what the op is concerned about, I wipe off with degreaser and a shop towel.
Yep. The migrating grease. That’s what I’m talkin’ about. Guess I’ll get out the rags.
thanks folks.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #14  
Never once have I ever looked at a grease fitting and pondered this. Wipe it next time I grease.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #16  
Why so much grease
Only takes a squeeze or two wipe off nipple before and after and make sure loader or backhoe is in position so grease goes in pressure side
Just like front axle pivot needs
To be off ground so grease gets where pressure is

/ Grease around fittings. . . #17  
Why so much grease
Only takes a squeeze or two wipe off nipple before and after and make sure loader or backhoe is in position so grease goes in pressure side
Just like front axle pivot needs
To be off ground so grease gets where pressure is
I agree with this.

Why are you pumping so much grease into your pivots/joints?

Only one or two strokes of the gun handle is plenty. You can hear the new grease make a faint "crackling" sound as it enters the pin or swivel area (whatever it is that you are greasing). No need to overdo it.

I never go near any of my grease fittings or pivot pins with a pressure washer. Very bad Ju-Ju to do so.

/ Grease around fittings. . .
I agree with this.

Why are you pumping so much grease into your pivots/joints?

Only one or two strokes of the gun handle is plenty. You can hear the new grease make a faint "crackling" sound as it enters the pin or swivel area (whatever it is that you are greasing). No need to overdo it.

I never go near any of my grease fittings or pivot pins with a pressure washer. Very bad Ju-Ju to do so.
The reason is, is because I don't know any better. This is my first tractor, and I just don't know any better. I've asked numerous people how often I need to grease, but I never asked how much. I just assumed that it was full when I could see the grease just oozing out around the pivot pins.

I appreciate the info. I'm just learning as I go.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #19  
The reason is, is because I don't know any better. This is my first tractor, and I just don't know any better. I've asked numerous people how often I need to grease, but I never asked how much. I just assumed that it was full when I could see the grease just oozing out around the pivot pins.

I appreciate the info. I'm just learning as I go.

Your assumption is 100% correct. Grease the pins until you see grease.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #20  
Once per year.
Clean off the excess grease around the pivot points with a rag soaked with mineral spirits.
Then again ..... I'm one of the few that waxes the tractor(s).

Last edited: