Grease around fittings. . .

/ Grease around fittings. . . #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
Okey Doke. . . So I naively asked about 6 months after owning the tractor, "Where does all the grease go?" Well, I now know, as many folks replied, it goes everywhere. Mostly, onto the tractor around the grease fittings. My question is, do y'all clean up all this grease from around the fittings? If so, how? I just washed my tractor with the power sprayer, and that helps, but it just shoots the grease to other places, and it doesn't all of it.

How do y'all deal with this? And I am sure many just leave it on the tractor. Tell me your thoughts.

Thanks. . .

jp

Attachments

• IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 251
   / Grease around fittings. . . #3  
I use Nitride gloves and just use fingers to scrape/rub off excessive grease as clean as I can get it, no need to be hospital room clean, just remove excess that is dirt trap....

/ Grease around fittings. . . #4  
Clean it up before it becomes an issue. I buy the 50 pack of red shop towels from Harbor Freight for $13. I use one to clean up any excess grease after greasing the tractor. It goes into the trash rather than into the dirty towel bucket to be washed. I also have paper shop towels for the small jobs.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #5  
The nice part about pressure washing is you're blowing tons of water into the part you're trying to keep greased making nice rust you'll find later...not to mention destroying the greases ability to effectivly lubricate because it's diluted.

Just wipe the excess as everyone else said.

/ Grease around fittings. . .
So, just good 'ol elbo grease and a rag. Simple enough.

As far as the pressure washer, after spraying near them once, i realized that wasn't the best thing to do, so i haven't sprayed directly at them again.

Thanks for the info.

/ Grease around fittings. . . #8  
How much excess grease do you have? All of my fittings have a bit of grease residue around them but i don't over grease so I don't have an over abundance of grease. Maybe you are greasing too much.

/ Grease around fittings. . .
I'm talking about the grease that spreads away from the Joints that are greased to the paint on the FEL. You can see that in the pictures.

I use a Loc N Lube, and i pump the grease till i can see it emerging from the joints. So there is exposed, excess grease that is where the FEL and bucket pivot. it is that grease that i reckon makes its way upon to the paint of the FEL.