Gravity ... who needs it?

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #11  
Apparently not this tree.

View attachment 739935

Well passed 45 degrees and has been for quite some time. Was told it's a Sycamore. Shadow under it hides the exposed roots and nearly complete lack of ground, having been washed out during higher waters. Fairly tall, at least 30', so there's got to be an awful lot of leverage at work.
You just wait until the pull of SUNSHINE takes effect! That tree is gonna suffer "the Bends"!

;-)

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #12  
Gravity has been increasing since I was a teenager. Back then my scale said I weighed 120#. Now it says 160#. I’m still the same person so gravity must be increasing 😂

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #13  
Gravity has been increasing since I was a teenager. Back then my scale said I weighed 120#. Now it says 160#. I’m still the same person so gravity must be increasing 😂
That's my argument, also... although if mine said 160 I would be in a lot better shape.
Maybe it's time for some new scales... :D

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #14  
And somehow the ground is getting further away.

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #15  
That's my argument, also... although if mine said 160 I would be in a lot better shape.
Maybe it's time for some new scales... :D
I have witnessed a conspiracy where new scales are made to mimic the ones we are replacing. Somehow, they manage to make the new ones read the same as the old ones. :eek:

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #16  
Here is a cedar that defied gravity for many years:

P4020040.JPG

I finally pulled it:

P4020047.JPG
P4020050.JPG

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #17  
Yeah it’s flat. Ever been to Kansas?
Yep. I'll never forget the feeling of pulling into a wheat field, one mile square, with a 14 foot Gleaner combine. Goodland Kansas, or thereabouts as I recall...it has been over 50 years, but some of those memories remain.

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #18  
Here is a cedar that defied gravity for many years:

View attachment 739953

I finally pulled it:

View attachment 739956View attachment 739957

I find it a little sad that you pulled it, but I have a soft spot for weird trees. They seem like a testament to Mother Nature's adaptability and persistence to survive.

Here is an odd tree at my place that is still alive. Most of the leaves are on the small section that sticks out from the edge of the woods.
IMG_1114.JPG

Here is another one that developed a major horizontal branch right at ground level for some reason.
IMG_1115.JPG

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #19  
I find it a little sad that you pulled it, but I have a soft spot for weird trees. They seem like a testament to Mother Nature's adaptability and persistence to survive.
Yep, I understand, but around here cedars grow like weeds and are a wildfire hazard.
Here is another one that developed a major horizontal branch right at ground level for some reason.
That reminds me of this cedar:
P4020023.JPG

But it also got pulled and put on the burn pile:
P4020034.JPG

/ Gravity ... who needs it? #20  
Yep, I understand, but around here cedars grow like weeds and are a wildfire hazard.

That reminds me of this cedar:
View attachment 740169

But it also got pulled and put on the burn pile:
View attachment 740170
Indeed. Cedars are a fire hazard in rural areas; I removed several from my acreage years ago. There are a lot in my area; my guess is that it is the result of the early settlers clearing the land for pasture and cultivation, and the regrowth is dominated by cedars, all about the same size and age.