Grapple width

/ Grapple width #21  
Many high quality grapple manufacturers now. Some have pushed envelop on innovation with stronger steel and modern manufacturing techniques. My bigger tractors and Bobcat can handle the 860# , 72” skidsteer grapple made of T1 steel made 30 years ago. My little tractor can’t but the Wicked EA is a perfect fit. It’s a challenge for the manufacturers to educate the customers the benefits of their products construction to meet the applications.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Grapple width #22  
I tried a cheap - $1800 -grapple & it folded like tinfoil picking up RR timbers; so I took it apart and just use if for a rock rake/bucket
Then I bought and waited 14weeks- for my EA Wicked Root grapple 60" Dual lids & this sucker is sturdy and highly capable....Certainly worth the wait. W Antifreeze&water in the rear tires, it lifted a 30'x24" cedar to the burn pile, and is great for downing & moving trees in the woods up to 12"+.
I would suggest going with the width of your tractor or one size narrower for mobility in tighter spaces....Would not recommend going any wider than your tractor- totally unnecessary
View attachment 762797
I dont have a $1800 grapple but a $1300 tomahawk at current prices. Bought the tractor with it and its definitely been used. It's on a tc40 with loaded rears. Havent had an issue even useing it to dig up 4in beech trees to moving boulders so big the machine could only pick them up dumped. Not a bend or wrinkle in anything. I'm not sure how a more expensive version would be 2x the price.

/ Grapple width #24  
I bought from express steel outside of Indianapolis. Pricing was good and good quality grapple, heavy duty for the price. I picked up a smooth bucket at the same time. Got both of them for less than others wanted just for the grapple. I saved more by picking up. Customer service and warranty, had a leak on a cylinder, are great Express Steel Inc | American-Made Snow Pushers, Hoppers & Attachments

/ Grapple width #25  
I've been looking to get a grapple (which isn't easy with the backorder situation) for my LS MT3 tractor and have been pondering the pros and cons of the width I should buy. I'm looking at getting a rake grapple and have mostly looked at grapples between 60-72". My tractor front tire track width is 72". I'm also trying to keep the weight of the grapple down so I can actually lift more. I'm thinking a 66" would work OK. Is there some advantage on going wider?
I wanted a narrow grapple to go over my forks to secure logs and brush against the forks. Very happy with "The Thumb" and all it can do. My thinking, is much better to grapple (grab) in the center for better balance of the load on the FEL.
Also is light weight, and I can move it around by hand when I pull the pins to remove it, or mount it. Plenty robust for my 430 FEL and JD 4300 tractor.

Attachments

• Thumb_pic.JPG
    Thumb_pic.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 67
   / Grapple width #26  
Grapples are stocked at many places. Many of them are good and stout and I would not pay all that much attention to brand. Do some searching within a couple hours drive and then go look at the actual grapple in person. About width: I have found that nearly all the time I am picking up limbs and tree trunks, etc. and rarely would a wider grapple be of any help. The narrower grapple is noticeably more maneuverable. Only if you are scraping a wide area would the wider one be better -- even then if you have a lot of scraping to do use a landscaping rake.

I bought my Wildcat model at Auctions Done Right! - McGrew Equipment in PA. They seem to stock a lot of these. Not just an auction place. I have to think there are similar places within a couple hour drive of you there in Wis that stock grapples. I found a quick pickup truck trip does the trick (they fit in the bed OK) and I like seeing what I am getting before buying it.
Agree with everything you stated.

Don't even know what brand my grapple is... was left behind in a pile behind my sis's house and they had no means to modify it to fit their skid steer so they gave it to me.
They Bought a Stout brand dual lid for the Bobcat T250. It has worked very well for their uses.

The no name unit I have has picked up a Good sized stick or two over the years lots of other uses as well. I agree there are a Lot of Good brands of grapples out in the market. I am intrigued by the Faver Brand offerings.

ANY Grapple is better than None

Last edited:
   / Grapple width #27  
I bought from express steel outside of Indianapolis. Pricing was good and good quality grapple, heavy duty for the price. I picked up a smooth bucket at the same time. Got both of them for less than others wanted just for the grapple. I saved more by picking up. Customer service and warranty, had a leak on a cylinder, are great Express Steel Inc | American-Made Snow Pushers, Hoppers & Attachments
I have a set of there pallet forks. They are built like a tank and shipping was easy and free. They ship freight to a residence for free. The forks where a few hundred less than a chinese made set. Express steel is actualy a US manufacturer and not a middle man like alot of these big names.

/ Grapple width #28  
Ive used 60,66, 72" models. The 72" to me has no advantage over a 60" for my tasks.

/ Grapple width #29  
I run a 60” MTL on a 72” wide tractor. Actually regret not getting a narrower unit as I do a lot of log picking off stacks of logs and a smaller one would be easier.

Mine is what many would call a “low end” unit...$1000 three years ago. But it works for my needs...processing firewood. I do not do much brush/limb clearing.

Identify your jobs first. If you need $3000 grapple get it. I doubt many folks need one so the less robust units have a place.

/ Grapple width #30  
I dont have a $1800 grapple but a $1300 tomahawk at current prices. Bought the tractor with it and its definitely been used. It's on a tc40 with loaded rears. Havent had an issue even useing it to dig up 4in beech trees to moving boulders so big the machine could only pick them up dumped. Not a bend or wrinkle in anything. I'm not sure how a more expensive version would be 2x the price.
My EA grapple is thicker steel; reinforced at all stress points, better design, larger cylinders- with better mounting style; protected springed hoses....all around a much better design than the cheap one....a decent welder could build a great grapple for under $2k I suspect.