Grapple Recommendations

/ Grapple Recommendations #51  
Is there a steel shortage such that they are having to pay for it today to lock in the price and then wait months for them to get material?

/ Grapple Recommendations #52  
If you want the closest inside look at EA, go here: EA Group
Also, check out our factory tours. The latest couple give you a look at our new factory expansion. EA YouTube Channel
We're not crazy about the wait, but I've heard worse.
If you can wait, I'm confident that you'll be glad ya did.

I actually wrote all of the grapple descriptions on our website. Not high powered marketing. Just facts!
You're welcome to call me to discuss and/or order.
Travis

fac.JPG

/ Grapple Recommendations #53  
Last edited:
   / Grapple Recommendations #54  
Regarding width, I like a wider grapple for brush (mostly what I deal with). "Wider" still does big stuff (I'll spare everyone my pics to demonstrate). HOWEVER, "wider" means you have to be a LOT more careful to avoid snagging it on things that you don't want to hit/snag! I've caught my grapple on a fence post (I've not only got a Wicked grapple, but also a wicked fence- it came to a draw, the tractor pretty much stopped, though I sensed the impediment and pulled off the travel pedal before I pushed the post any further [it was straightened out OK]). I clipped a corner of a pole shed roof and tore that up pretty good: the shed is an inherited (here when I purchased the property) low-budget affair, so some non-artistic cobbling and it was back in order.

My grapple (for my Kioti): 66" EA (single lid)

/ Grapple Recommendations #55  
I am looking for a grapple for my Kioti RX7320, which is rated for 3300lbs lift at the pins to full height. I am primarily looking to move logs that tree services drop off, but would also like to do it for some mild clearing, occasional concrete chunk pickup, larger rock piles, etc. I am relatively "easy" on my equipment so I don't need the absolute strongest stuff, but I would like to not have to worry about it with my usage. I am cost sensitive as this will be an infrequently used attachment. I am picking them up now with forks on both the Kioti and 1025R and it's a pain in the butt when they are not all lined up in the same direction... a grapple will be a huge improvement.

I'm considering the following:

I know EA would be the suggestion of many, but I do not see any lighter duty 84" grapples... just the one for up to 125HP.

The rock one would be great as it allows the ability to sift rocks - I miss my rock bucket from my smaller tractor - but the tines also look fairly thin and it seems like they'd be able to be damaged sifting through rocks which defeats the purpose. I am not interested in rock bucket/grapple combos that have raised sides, as it would make it a lot worse to pick up bundles of logs. Anything else I should consider? Any other suggestions? I realize others have bad experiences with Titan. I have purchased several sets of forks over the years as well as other attachments and have had an overall good experience. That, the fact it's in stock, looks fairly heavy duty (though only regular A36), and my credit card company will take care of my if they screw up makes me lean towards the Titan.
My 2 cents worth having cleared many acres and moved many tons of rock with this 72" Paladin grapple on a 60 hp M59 tractor. Your 73 hp tractor more than capable of using the 72" or larger depending what your machine track width is. Up front cost is a small factor in lifetime cost, especially given the very high current diesel cost. Couple of pics with brush and rock. If you look carefully, you can see the tractor behind the load of brush. I was backing up the driveway to the dump site not driving forward. Also included Paladin grapple specs with 49" wide opening.

Have fun with whatever your choice is.

Attachments

• Bradco Root Rake Specs.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0326.jpg
    IMAG0326.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0691.jpg
    IMAG0691.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 20200722- M59 Grapple Log Siberian Elm.jpg
    20200722- M59 Grapple Log Siberian Elm.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / Grapple Recommendations #56  
   / Grapple Recommendations #57  
When it comes to couplers for these grapples. Is flat face the way to go?

/ Grapple Recommendations #58  
That's the one I am leaning towards since I'll be moving logs fairly often in addition to a decent amount of brush and rocks. With a 60 hp tractor is there any reason why to go with the larger version? Is it because the power of the tractor might damage one made for a lower HP tractor?
Future_vision,

Grapples are rated for several reasons. The primary reason is so someone with a low horsepower tractor does not buy too much grapple that their machine can't lift or if their machine can lift the weight, then with the little remaining weight the machine can lift (rocks or trees) the grapple can't really do much. If I put a light duty grapple rated for 20-30 hp on my 60 hp M59 then I might be able to bend it but the hydraulic over pressure bypasses would probably prevent that. Secondary reason is a higher horsepower machine is typically wider and you want a grapple that is as wide as the machine track.

My Paladin Bradco 72 inch root rake is sized to my machine both in width and lift capacity. The grapple at 72 inch wide is wider than my tire width so the grapple picks up everything in my track. My total loader lift capacity is 4,000 lbs and the grapple weight consumes 1,500 so I can easily pick up 2,500 lbs. It is possible to pick up much more than 2,500 because the bucket curl force is 6,000 lbs thus I can actually pick up 4,500 Lbs. Picking up that much weight can create problems if you are not careful with grade, speed, and turning rate. The wider the grapple opens the bigger the pile you can get a hold of and carry away. In the far right picture I picked up so much brush I couldnt see to drive forward. I actually intended to back up the brush dump site so all good. I have attached few pics of trees and rocks in the grapple.

Attachments

• 20200722- Siberian Elm size.jpg
    20200722- Siberian Elm size.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    IMAG0685- Bldg site logs.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 2 ton rock.png
    2 ton rock.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0324- M59 carrying brush.jpg
    IMAG0324- M59 carrying brush.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
   / Grapple Recommendations #59  
When it comes to couplers for these grapples. Is flat face the way to go?
Future-vision,

Flat face couplers are the standard for skid steer/ track loader and much of the heavier duty grapples are largely aimed at skid steer/ track loader market and flat face couplers are designed for much higher flow ( that skid steers are capable of ) than the same size ag coupler. The flat face pros and cons. Pro. They don't leak hydraulic fluid and they are easier to keep clean so you don't end up with dirt cloggin up a hydraulic valve somewhere in your system. Con. Not a big one but because flat face couplers don't relieve pressure like an ag coupler does with the little nipple in the middle that engages before couple completely engages therefore the flat face can be pain to engage if pressure builds up in tractor hydraulic system after you uncouple and want to recouple. Having re-engagement problems happens about 5% of the time I go to use equipment. Solution is to relieve a little bit of fluid on pressure side. Some people add a little side valve, I have a short length of 3/8 extension that you would use on a ratchet wrench and a small ball peen hammer. I set the flat end of the extension against center of the coupler and give it light tap with hammer. A few drops of hydraulic fluid leaks out and coupler goes together.

Hope this helps.