Grapple ideas and how are these companies?

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #1  

smokin joe

Tractor
L3901 TLB
This forum is great! I was leaning towards a QA product (below) and got several recommendations on other products. I am leaning toward Homestead or EA for a grapple for my L3901. Any opinions on these products below? Any recommendations on other brands? Mostly for limb and log ( 25"dbh oak) clean up. These are all claw grapples. Thanks for the help.
Screenshot_20221124-101640_Office.jpg

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies?
Also...I have read what I can find on the steel types and thickness. EA used to be my front runner but it's only 1/4" AR450. In practice is that steel too thin and/or brittle?

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #3  
you will likely get many strong opinions here. I have a homestead pinnacle series 66 inch. Been using it for about a year now mostly to move logs, branches, brush, rocks, etc.. No problems thus far.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #4  
There is so much competition out there with grapples that I believe you really get what you pay for. If you want heavy duty, extra strong steal, top quality hydraulics, you will have to pay more for those features. You can save a little money going with an off brand if they are building the grapple themselves over a big manufacturer, but it's also a risk that you will get support from them five years from now. For me, I want the strongest, most durable grapple possible.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies?
Thanks. Both helpful comments.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #6  
try HLA

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #7  
If I was to buy another grapple, it would have a solid bottom. When I bought mine, I was under the impression that having an open, or grill type bottom would allow dirt and small stuff to fall through. In reality, everything that is going to fall off of the log, or branches, is going to fall off when picking it up. What I need is to be able to carry dirt to the hole where I dug out the tree or stump without having to take off the grapple and put on the bucket.

I think that the grapple in this link is the best style out there.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #8  
I would look at a frostbite, light compact platform which is more user friendly and just as capable as a large grapple.
I agree.

If as the OP stated, this is mainly for moving logs and limbs, a forestry grapple such as the Frostbite is a great way to go: There is not much out there better for handling logs, it's much lighter weight than other styles of grapples (so you save more of your lift capacity for lifting logs), and the narrow profile is great for maneuvering in the woods.

If you are working in more open spaces and/or need the ability to lift smaller items, then other styles might make more sense.

In addition to the Frostbite, the Sundown GR40 and the Igland GR20 are similar styles.

Last edited:
   / Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #9  
I have a Homestead Pinnacle series 55" that I'm using on my L3901DT. I have been very happy with it so far. Great company to work with.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #10  
I have a tomahawlk brand grapple. It's really more of a skid steer weight grapple but with my 2,000lb lift capacity 100lbs more really dosnt matter. I believe it was about $2k last time I checked.