GPS Tracker for a tractor

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have a tractor at my brothers farm that's an hour away from me. I go there once a week to check on things, do some work on the place and stuff like that. The tractor is kind of hidden behind a building, but anybody trespassing will find it easily enough. The neighbors are pretty good, but they can't watch the place 24/7 It's an older John Deere that I'm afraid might be stolen if somebody decides they want it.

I read a story about the Apple Air Tag and it got me to thinking that I should do something like that to the tractor. The Air Tag seems to have a very short range, but if somebody has an Apple phone that's close to it, then it will send a signal where it's located. Hopefully the police will do something if that happens.

Does anybody have an Apple Air Tag, and how well does it work?

Is there another product that might work better? I'm willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee if that increases my odds of being able to find the tractor if it's stolen.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #2  
The tractor is kind of hidden behind a building

The tractor tracker might be a good idea, I have no idea and no apps on my flip phone.

Is this property that is vacated, no one lives there ?

My first thought is to make sure that the tractor is completely hidden and secured. Wall / gate it in at the building, and put a heavy chain locked onto it, perhaps even chained around a large tree. Make the tractor specifically identified by noting serial numbers etc (photos) and uniquely identified - stickers in hidden places, under the hood, on the frame or where ever. I am planning to put a kill switch on my tractor also, so that it can not be started easily. Do not leave the key with the tractor.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #3  
Before our house was built, the tractor and equipment was kept on the property. I hid everything in the woods but anyone trespassing could luck out and find the tractor and implements.

I bought a long piece of transport chain and would lock the tractor to a tree. Figure it would not stop someone that really wanted the tractor but it would stop kids up to no good. Flip side, anyone stealing the tractor would likely be seen after it was taken from our place. Figured keeping the insurance policy up to date and the chain was the best I could do.

Something like LoJack would work to track the tractor but I have never used one.

In the Good thing/Scary thing category. I read that JD could track newer tractors. I assume this is in the higher end models. When they noticed that tractors had been stolen in the Ukraine and moved to Russia, the tractors were deactivated.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #4  

Tracki GPS

A quick search found a lot of options but this one seems to be popular

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #5  
Tile is similar to Apple Airtag, but I believe more ubiquitous and widely supported. Their models with which I'm familiar must also at least occasional pass within Bluetooth range of a smartphone running their app, to log a location. But since the app is widely used, that actually tends to work out pretty well, it seems.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #6  
My impression is that thieves tend to be lazy, so if the theft looks long and complicated, they will move on. The flip side is that if someone really wants it, you would need to bring it home. With the "Lockpick Lawyer" on youtube and battery operated chain cutters readily available, I tend to think that the "standard" methods don't work.

I'd vote for a Tile, plus an AirTag, both hidden, say in light fixtures where they won't be easily found, plus a sneaky fuel or battery disconnect, or an exhaust whistle, or... Maybe a dead battery as a place holder?

I have a friend who had his stolen, and while he got it back eventually, it did have some damage. His mechanic advised having a bunch of (non-functional) wires hanging out and a hidden disconnect. His mechanic claimed to never having one stolen afterwards.

I wouldn't overlook a game camera or security camera watching the tractor. There's a member here who got his equipment back after his security cameras identified the thief.

Like an onion, layers and layers...

All the best,

Peter

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #7  
Never felt the need at all. I keep mine insured and they will sit in a field overnight or a day or so. No big deal. I have battery disconnects on them. Simple and easy.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #8  
TrackR was an option I used in the past mainly because the battery was user replaceable… but the company closed a few years ago. I haven’t been looking for a replacement yet but a replaceable battery is high on my list of desired features.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #9  
The one downside of the AirTag is that if the driver who steal the tractor has an iPhone after a short distance of traveling their phone will give them a message that they are being tracked by an AirTag. It’s a precaution to prevent stalkers.

BUT, they just might abandon the tractor when they find out.

/ GPS Tracker for a tractor #10  
My dealership wired in a hidden switch to the fuel shutoff thingy. Tractor wouldn't even sputter otherwise. Figured if the scum could diagnose that problem and then find the hidden switch, he's probably smart enough to have an honest job.