GPS smart fence dog collar

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #31  
A good friend had two Siberian Huskies and about 20 acres. He installed a buried wire fencer around three acres. Each dog got a collar.

It worked just great. EXCEPT - when the dogs saw something they wanted to chase. It was mainly all the local deer that brought them over this wire fencer thing.

He was all the time out and about. Bringing these two dogs back home.
Isn't that the truth, lol. Once they lock onto a squirrel, rabbit, deer there is NO stopping them. I've continuously shocked mine hoping to break the spring and received no response at all.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #32  
replied to incorrect thread....whoops.

Last edited:
   / GPS smart fence dog collar #33  
Isn't that the truth, lol. Once they lock onto a squirrel, rabbit, deer there is NO stopping them. I've continuously shocked mine hoping to break the spring and received no response at all.

Are you saying that you used a manually controlled zap collar, and the dog didn't respond to it?

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #34  
Are you saying that you used a manually controlled zap collar, and the dog didn't respond to it?
Correct.

When we're outside doing yard work they are/were on a collar for the fence only. That way they can roam around burn off energy, etc. However, if it's just go out do your business and come back in, they are on a manually controlled one. That way once they are done, we just hit the 'beep' function and that's their command to get back in.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #35  
Correct.

When we're outside doing yard work they are/were on a collar for the fence only. That way they can roam around burn off energy, etc. However, if it's just go out do your business and come back in, they are on a manually controlled one. That way once they are done, we just hit the 'beep' function and that's their command to get back in.
What kind of training collar are you using specifically using manual commands to associat the shock / non shock stimulous to (shock / vibraate or "beep" command)?

Even with the dog in my avatar (not a pit bull by any means, but that's what everyone associates her with), a manual training collar in "prey drive" had always worked for myself.

If it's the dogtra brand, I'd be surprised. NEVER had a issue with being "one on one" with the dog using varying stimulous using the training collar and associating the shock with the vibrate command with verbal commands.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #36  
Ours is some el cheapo from Amazon ($60 or so). It works... I can ASSURE you of that, lol. She's just stubborn and 'dumb' at times, but a good dog none-the-less.

If you have the Dogta one(s) do they really have the range they claim? I remember looking at them, but the $150+ price tag was a turn off without having info/review from a real person and not paid for reviews on Amazon.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #37  
Ours is some el cheapo from Amazon ($60 or so). It works... I can ASSURE you of that, lol. She's just stubborn and 'dumb' at times, but a good dog none-the-less.

If you have the Dogta one(s) do they really have the range they claim? I remember looking at them, but the $150+ price tag was a turn off without having info/review from a real person and not paid for reviews on Amazon.
You get what you pay for.

The reason why your's doesn't work well is as you mentioned, "el cheapo". You get what you pay for.

When I try to train dogs that I care for to protect both them and myself, I don't go cheap.

As for the range on the Dogtra, depends on "line of sight" or if the dog is in a valley far away.

If I'm out with the dogs, they generally are within a couple hundred of yards away from me and I can see them, and the collar has always worked. Past 500 yards and if the dog is "over a hill" away from you, may not work. Learned that on my blue tick hound who was sneaky at the time LOL

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #38  
Smart dogs get bored and bored dogs get into trouble.
Truer words were never spoken.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #39  
I worry about the details of these systems as I've heard many stories. Some systems will send a continuous tone when the dog gets close to the edge. That's a major flaw that I've heard of smart dogs getting around. The dog learns to walk till it hears the tone. Once it hears the tone, it sits down and waits till the battery dies then it knows it's "allowed" to go wherever it wants.
We had a dog who was smart but I guess could have been smarter. :LOL: The dog had a collar that would beep when near the "fence" and get shocked if it crossed the wire. The wife would come home and the dog would be out running around. The collar battery would be dead so it was replaced. The wife would come home and the dog would be out running around... This repeated a few times. :rolleyes:

One day she was home, the dog was outside and she, the wife, :unsure: :ROFLMAO: figured out how the dog kept escaping. The dog would go up to the "fence" until the collar beeped and then the dog would run along the fence until the beeping stopped, at which point, the dog knew it was go time. :eek::ROFLMAO:

I guess the dog could have been smarter and just sat down instead of running along the fence. :ROFLMAO:

That dog was awesome too. That was really the only thing she ever did bad.

Later,
Dan

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #40  
We had a dog who was smart but I guess could have been smarter. :LOL: The dog had a collar that would beep when near the "fence" and get shocked if it crossed the wire. The wife would come home and the dog would be out running around. The collar battery would be dead so it was replaced. The wife would come home and the dog would be out running around... This repeated a few times. :rolleyes:

One day she was home, the dog was outside and she, the wife, :unsure: :ROFLMAO: figured out how the dog kept escaping. The dog would go up to the "fence" until the collar beeped and then the dog would run along the fence until the beeping stopped, at which point, the dog knew it was go time. :eek::ROFLMAO:

I guess the dog could have been smarter and just sat down instead of running along the fence. :ROFLMAO:

That dog was awesome too. That was really the only thing she ever did bad.

Later,
Dan
This is the reasosn why when you want to "train" a dog, you have to be with them in person.

I don't trust an electronic fense I (would make no sense on our property to boot) but a "real" fence. Even with a real fense, if you aren't watching the dog personally 24/7 or have a camera to do so, you will be amazed at what they can figure out.

Dogs can be smarter than you think.

Go to the 9 minute mark to see good small escape artist.

The irony is, the guy in our home who is dumber than a box of rocks (as my wife likes to say LOL) is the realy escape artist outside in our fenced in area.

Last edited: