GPS smart fence dog collar

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Anyone have one? Opinions?

I’m starting to have an issue with my Pyrenees wandering up to the pavement and getting in trouble and they’ve never respected a fence even if I wanted to build one around the property.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #2  
I would be surprised if a GPS based system is accurate enough for what you want. Even my car system is off by a few hundred yards every so often, and that has all sorts of algorithms to hold on to roadways.

The dog GPS systems that I have seen are for finding your dog(s).

All the best,

Peter

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #4  
My neighbor uses a wireless one, her dog runs right up to the boundary, it truly is an invisible fence.

I installed the wire in the ground version 5 years ago but it is no longer necessary due to the age of the dog. It worked perfectly.

I have heard some have problems with determined males smelling a ***** in heat or dogs with thick coats not feeling the shock.

Do you have a link for the GPS version you are looking at?

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #5  
I have heard some have problems with determined males smelling a ***** in heat or dogs with thick coats not feeling the shock.
Dogs can take the hit if they are determined enough for any reason (the fur really has nothing to do with it). A friend of ours issue was the dog leaving chasing squirrels (this dog was a short hair). Bad part is, the dog generally won't take the hit to come back to the house LOL

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #6  
To the OP, no clue on my end sorry, but I am curious what you go with and how you like it. I was looking for a tracking system for the blue tick hound we have, thankfully he is past the part of being sneaky trying to leave our property.

I'm thinking along the lines of Ponytug with the accuracy of the boundaries set by the GPS.

My other concearn would be battery life on the collar and how you would know that the collar needs to be charged. If the dog is 24/7 outside, you will need to do something while the collar is off the dog an and charging. Dogs are smarter than we given them credit for, dog may realize without that particular collar on...

I would also think, like a standard ecollar, you will probably get what you pay for.

Did come across this one...

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #7  
Another type is the wireless fence system. PETSAFE Wireless Containment System | Chewy (Free Shipping)
I've never used one but have been told they work pretty well, and you don't have the issue of them going through the fence and getting stuck on the other side.

I have also heard of idiots who forget to take the collar off when bringing the dog someplace, and not understanding why the poor dog keeps yelping as he gets zapped.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar
I would be surprised if a GPS based system is accurate enough for what you want. Even my car system is off by a few hundred yards every so often, and that has all sorts of algorithms to hold on to roadways.

The dog GPS systems that I have seen are for finding your dog(s).

All the best,

Peter
Shoot, you must drive a car as old as my truck. Daughters Tacoma tells her she's in the wrong lane for the next turn.
My neighbor uses a wireless one, her dog runs right up to the boundary, it truly is an invisible fence.

I installed the wire in the ground version 5 years ago but it is no longer necessary due to the age of the dog. It worked perfectly.

Do you have a link for the GPS version you are looking at?
I'm only beginning my research, but so far this is the one with the best reviews and I'm able to take advantage of several discounts...far cheaper than a fence but damn.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar
Another type is the wireless fence system. PETSAFE Wireless Containment System | Chewy (Free Shipping)
I've never used one but have been told they work pretty well, and you don't have the issue of them going through the fence and getting stuck on the other side.

I have also heard of idiots who forget to take the collar off when bringing the dog someplace, and not understanding why the poor dog keeps yelping as he gets zapped.
Why would they get stuck on the other side and get continually zapped when you take them someplace? My thought is if they are across the line they are getting the buzzer either way.

/ GPS smart fence dog collar #10  
Why would they get stuck on the other side and get continually zapped when you take them someplace? My thought is if they are across the line they are getting the buzzer either way.
There's no line on these. Check out the link. You have a radio transmitter which warns them if thy get a certain distance away, then shocks them if they keep going.