GPS Discussion Group

/ GPS Discussion Group #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
Hope someone here can help me. I joined a GPS discussion group hoping I would get answers like I do here and only have been dissappointed at best. You can post something there and if your lucky you will get a reply in a couple of days or weeks. I guess one gets spoiled after being here on TBN.

My question is though is if someone knows of a good discussion group for GPS or if someone can help me with my Garmin Etrex Vista. I want to store my tracks on my computer and the software I have (EasyGPS) only allows me to store Waypoints and Routes. When I am out 4 wheelin I can only create tracks unless I am not programming it right to strore in routes. Routes to me are part of mapping and I can put in a preplanned route only. I just want to know where I was so when I go back in a year or so I can follow the same track without getting lost. So if anyone has any ideas or another software program that works please let me know.

murph

/ GPS Discussion Group #2  
Murph,

Sorry I can't help with the GPS question--I only use mine to get from shore to the fish house on the middle of Mil Lacs during winter fishing.

I will echo your thoughts about the responses on this site versus others. I just purchased a motorhome and while I did receive some good info (from RV discussion groups), it took a long time once I posted a message and the responses numbered 1/20 of what you get on this site.

I have never posted a question here without getting a good answer. With a question like yours, its probably going to take a little time for the right person to see it.

Getting totally off topic----I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow. My wife is showing one of our collies at the national dog show which is being held at the Rochester Civic Center.

Good Luck

Bob

/ GPS Discussion Group #3  
Murph, I guess my brain is still a little fuzzy this morning. I read your question twice but I am still not exactly sure what you are asking. I remember finding you in the tractor newsgroup and I pointed you to TBN. I wish I could do something similar for GPS but all I can do is point you back to the newsgroups. The guys in sci.geo.satellite-nav are great and they will answer your questions promptly. There is another group over in alt.satellite.gps but it doesn't get as much traffic and what traffic it does get is usually the same people from the first group. I use Delorme's software for all my GPS needs now. Their website is http://www.delorme.com

I have their Street Atlas USA 2003, their TOPO USA 4.0, and their XMap Handheld Edition.

/ GPS Discussion Group #4  
Hi Murph,

I have a number of mapping programs... and a few utilities that do exactly what you want to do... Topo & Precision Map are my # 1's used (mainly because they work properly with my older Eagle GPS)...(had a super Garmin... ready to buy another Garmin... long story.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

When I get a chance later... I get you some more program names and some free utils you can download...

/ GPS Discussion Group #5  
Murph,
I have a etrex legend (very similar to yours) but I'm not sure I understand the problem your having. Is it that your software won't accept tracks? BTW have you checked for software updates for your unit - Garmin does a great job of enhancing and fixing bugs on their devices?

/ GPS Discussion Group #6  
murph,

I'm not sure which discussion site you have been visiting, but have you tried Geocaching.com? They have some really good discussions forums on several topics, one of which is hardware and software. The discussions are not always as civil as you find on TBN, however. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Be careful, though. It's easy to get hooked on geocaching - especially if you have kids (or grandkids, in my case). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now if you could use your tractor to go geocaching???? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ GPS Discussion Group
A couple of you have said that you didn't understand what I am trying to say. So just don't let my wife see this because she says I have a problem explaining things to people. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway on my GPS I have created some Tracks. My GPS stores them along with Routes and Waypoints. My software on my computer only will allow me to download the Routes and Waypoints. When I do this it allows me to have a backup file of all my Routes and Waypoints. I can then take them off of my GPS and only store the ones I know I will be using to give me more room on my GPS. The computer software allows me to move then back and forth as needed. My question is I would like to be able to move the Tracks back and forth also not just the Routes and Waypoints.

I hope this makes it easier to understand.

murph

/ GPS Discussion Group #8  
Here's a program I found called GPS Trackmaker - and it's freeware. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And here's another free download called USAPhotoMaps.

Both claim to download tracks from Garmins, and both were found by doing a search for "saving tracks" in the discussion forums of geocaching.com . I can't recommend either program, since I haven't used them.

/ GPS Discussion Group #9  
I kind of thought that was what you wanted to do but I wasn't sure. A guy named Dave Patton has a website with explainations and links to various programs that should do what you want. His website is http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/software.html

/ GPS Discussion Group #10  
Got it. The garmin mapsource program does exactly that though it is not cheap. there is also a free shareware program called usaphotomaps that allows you to overlay your tracks onto sat photos from terraserver - (way cool) just do a google search and you should find it.