Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #21  
On a tangential note, can you still find replacement nozzles for non-fuel purposes? ;). Of course.

If not, can anyone explain how to craft one myself?

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #22  
I knew a guy who was sort of accident prone. He wanted to see how much gas he had in the tank of his motorcycle so he held a lighter to the gas tank opening to look inside...........
I kid you not, and I've told this story before...

When working at the airport, I was the line chief. I was driving into the airport one morning and I see my early shift kid driving out. He wasn't supposed to leave for a few hours.

I walk into the office and ask the secretary where "XXXX" is going? She says "Butch fired him. He checked the level of the little 100 with a lighter and it caught on fire, so he fired him."

I started laughing and said "Yeah right!" :ROFLMAO:

Butch was our vehicle mechanic, and didn't have the authority to fire the kid.
The little 100 was an old early 60s Ford pickup with a 350 gallon tank on the back for 100LL avgas.
And, who'd be that stupid!?!?!?!? :ROFLMAO:

I walk into the back hangar and there's Butch scrubbing ash off of the top of the tank around the fill hole on the little 100. :eek:

He said XXXX told him he checked the level of the fuel in the tank with a lighter while at the fuel farm, it lit on fire, he slammed the lid shut, and the fire went out, so he fired him.

I was shocked! I called the kid back in to ask what happened, because I just couldn't believe it.

He came back in, and told me it was in the wee hours of the morning. It was cold and dark. He was filling the tank from the overhead filler. Procedure was to stick your hand in the tank with your bare finger on the disk that was set by the weights and measurements department to verify 350 gallons. If your finger got wet, it was full, so stop. He didn't want to get his finger wet, so he held his lighter out at arms length, lit it, then slowly brought it in towards the filler lid. When it got close, WOOSH! Up it went.

Thank god he didn't have the filler running, and that the tank was full, so there wasn't much room for fumes, or he'd probably have been blown to bits, or at the least, incinerated.

I thanked him for coming back and telling me, and confirmed that he was still fired.

Yikes!

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #24  
I have these on all my "pre-2009" :rolleyes: cans which already have a filter/flame arrestor built in:
1674412176799.png

They work great no leaks, good flow rate, and are available for just about any model can.

But oh my they are just TERRIBLE for the environment by having the "potential" for me to leave the spout cap off of my leak free can and having the gas evaporate into the atmosphere. The new auto shut off models are SOOO much better by halving the flow rate and 100% guaranteeing that you spill gas/diesel all over yourself, the floor, and your hot equipment which then subsequently evaporates into the atmosphere, drastically increases chances of a fire and/or a slipping accident, and toxic fuel exposure.

Stepping down from my soapbox now...

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #25  
What is a flame arrestor on a gas can?

Image result for What does one of these gas can flame arrestor look like

A flame arrestor is a small device, similar to a mesh screen, in the nozzle of the can. The screen helps prevent vapors in the gasoline container from igniting. Such a device is required on metal gas cans. Required on metal cans already and about to be required on plastic cans.
Don't quote me but one of my gas cans is a 6 gal water can. I see no difference. It looks and works like a gas can. I installed a vent like my other cans and it was cheaper than a gas can and it held more fuel... so I've been using it for about 8 years. Oh - it's blue.
Well, that doesn't look to bad. My dads old white gas container had a screen in it. I don't recall it being a problem, but that was over 50 years ago, but dad didn't seemed too perturbed. Have you guys seen to cans where the nozzle attaches at the bottom of the gas can? Do those work alright?

I currently have a couple newer cans that kinda have a love hate relationship, you have to depress a little button, then push a larger chunk of plastic toward the nozzle, that opens a valve that lets the gas flow out, but it vent air while pouring so it fills pretty fast.

I have 3 or 4 old plastic "cans" going on 20+ years old, no valve and no vent when pouring. Easier to work, in that you aim the nozzle at the opening of the gas tank, before you tip it too far, but doesn't have a vent so the gas glug glugs out slower than the two other gas cans. Holding 5 gallons out at arms length to getting to be a bit more effort as i've gotten older and i try to let the engine/exhaust cool a bit before filling

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #26  
We tend to use our emptied 5 gallon oil buckets when needing to carry a little fuel to something.
That plus a funnel works good and the funnel is optional depending on the fill port.

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #27  
Well, that doesn't look to bad. My dads old white gas container had a screen in it. I don't recall it being a problem, but that was over 50 years ago, but dad didn't seemed too perturbed. Have you guys seen to cans where the nozzle attaches at the bottom of the gas can? Do those work alright?

I currently have a couple newer cans that kinda have a love hate relationship, you have to depress a little button, then push a larger chunk of plastic toward the nozzle, that opens a valve that lets the gas flow out, but it vent air while pouring so it fills pretty fast.

I have 3 or 4 old plastic "cans" going on 20+ years old, no valve and no vent when pouring. Easier to work, in that you aim the nozzle at the opening of the gas tank, before you tip it too far, but doesn't have a vent so the gas glug glugs out slower than the two other gas cans. Holding 5 gallons out at arms length to getting to be a bit more effort as i've gotten older and i try to let the engine/exhaust cool a bit before filling
Vents are cheap on Amazon & may be able to get them at your local auto parts store. Just drill the appropriate size hole and push them in. 5min job https://www.amazon.com/JSP-Manufact...9&sprefix=gas+can+vent+push+in,aps,253&sr=8-4

/ Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #28  
   / Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors. #29