Got my tractor

/ Got my tractor #1  

Cathy

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I bought my tractor this week. Got the B2710 with 60" Belly Mower. My neighbor came over last night & suggested kiddingly that I had been riding it at midnight. Actually it was 9:30 to 9:45. I was so excited I had to try it out. The dealer left my house at 8:30. I LOVE IT! Needless to say, the next day when I got home my husband was mowing the yard with a big grin on his face. I don't think either of us will dread mowing anymore. I kind of wanted the 72" mower but it was 600.00 more. My neighbor gave me a diskharrow, which we have used but the ground is so dry & hard from moderate drought that it didnt go very deep. Now I need some more toys to go with it. The cultivator plow maybe. I hope I can find a used one to save money. Next big toy will be a tiller. I want a canopy but don't want to spend 300.00, so I am trying to figure out a way to get out of the sun. Anyone have a suggestion on a substitute for a canopy. I might even try my golf umbrella attached with a bungee cord! Seems like all my toys I want are 300-600 or more! I am so proud of my tractor! My neighbor says I ought to take the belly mower off when I use the disk harrow so I won't get alot of dirt up in my mower. The dealer said to raise it up & put 2 pins to hold it up.

/ Got my tractor #2  
Congratulations, Cathy! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The tractors last a long time, so you can acquire them through the years. Yes, sometimes asking around will bring out long stored implements for nearly free. Tractor Supply has a catalog and carries a lot of low end implements. Most rural areas have one or two stores that sell primarily to ag users. Some of the implements tend to be less expensive there and at the supply hourse. They normally DO NOT have some of the commercially required items like chain guards. So you pay less and you usually get less too. I did pretty well for 6 years with a good mower, front end loader, and box blade and finally got a tiller and rake. Now have added a rear blade and will get a cultivator next year. I also was given an old disk and some previously horse drawn implements. One of these is a one row ride on coastal planter. Works for almost anything that someone can set on and drop the seeds. It opens the rows and covers them. You and your husband should get a lot of enjoyment out of your new tractor. Now don't do like me and leave the emergency brake on once in a while and take off. The tractor is stronger than the brake.

My dad has an inexpensive folding cloth canopy on his tractor. I am holding out for a good strong metal one that I can mount other things on, though. ($300 is about right). That sorta defeats the purpose of having a folding ROPS, but have never folded it a single time so far.

/ Got my tractor #3  
Cathy - Congratulations!!! The newness may wear off (in a few years or so) but the fun won't.

I think I'd take the mower off if I was going to do something like using a disk harrow.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine uses a big golf umbrella held on with a bungee cord pretty successfully.

Mark

/ Got my tractor #4  
Cathy, congratulations on the new family member I shure wish my wife was as excited about tractors as you are. When I go tractor browsing she drops me off and heads for the mall. Again to repeat others read the manual be safe have FUN!!!!!!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Got my tractor #5  
Congratulations, Cathy. I bought my tractor in March and have been trying to accumulate implements ever since. I have bought some implements new and some used. here is a list of costs. Used Agric 50" rototiller - $400, New Atlas 5.5' box blade $338, Used Gannon 5.5' box blade - $400 (replaced the lighter one), new JD513 rotary cutter - $700?, Fiberglass canopy - $350. I have foldable ROPS and I use them to get the tractor though 7' garage doors. It does add about 3 feet of length to the tractor but allows me to get the tractor in the garage until I get a shop built. YOur golf umbrella is not a bad idea. Right now the canopy is great but, to me, there are lots of times it would be nice to not have it. From now until late september probably is not any of those times.

/ Got my tractor #6  
Oh man am I jealous. Sounds like a great thing you and your husband got going there Cathy. Have a stinkin blast with it and as if its not mentioned enough around here, be careful and learn how to react with the tractor when unexpected things happen. Rat...

/ Got my tractor #7  
Cathy, congrats on your new toy...err...umm....I mean tool! You shouldn't smile so much when you are using it...remember, this is suppose to be work!

Got a canopy on mine. I didn't really want a canopy, it just came with it (bought my toy...ummm....err..tool used). However, I can not begin to tell you how great of an option it is! It really keeps the mid day sun off. One thing to remember with the umbrella idea; if you get into the trees, bushes, branches, etc., they'll pull that umbrella right off and a lot of times you won't see it coming. A canopy, on the other hand, stays put. I've been in some really bad places where my wife says I disapprear when the brush swallows me up. I come chugging back out with me and the canopy intact.

/ Got my tractor #8  
Congratulation Cathy./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
May you and your hushand have many hours of enjoyment on your new Kubota,/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gifand don't forget the sun tan oil.[coo]

Thomas..NH

/ Got my tractor #9  
Cathy, when I bought my first Kubota, I tried the golf umbrella idea; for a couple of days. It's better than nothing, but down here in Texas I'd just wouldn't give up my steel canopy. And a tiller for gardens is the handiest thing I know of. I've started a couple of new gardens with nothing but the tiller and just made multiple passes over hard ground until it got deep enough, but it's much faster if you have a turning plow (moldboard) or double buster to use first and then the tiller. Unfortunately, tillers are expensive, unless you're lucky enough to find a good used one. And the disk might do the job if you can add enough weight to it and make multiple passes. Good luck and have fun.

Bird

/ Got my tractor #10  
After using a tiller for a couple of years, I sold it and tried to do the garden with the scarfiers on the box blade. It did work after a fashion, but pulled the water line up on a couple of sprinklers. I then tried a disk with several hundred pounds of weight on it. It worked pretty well, but still wound up using the walk behind tiller on the planting rows. Finally got another tiller. It is a 5 ft Long. It works really well. Took a while to learn that if you leave the rear gate down, it mulches the soil and leaves a wonderful seed bed. If you accidentally tie the rear gate up, it looks more like you just disked it. The instruction book said nothing about this, but you do learn fast. The tiller is the most work performing tool you will probably ever have. I am eventually going to get one of the Heavy Duty Bush Hog 6 or 7 ft tillers, but have the five foot pushed as far to the side as I can get it and it works well.