Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of)

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #51  
That is really why I buy so many things on Amazon. Selection and availability. After I visit a few local stores and they don’t have what I’m looking for, I give up and buy online. And there are many things that I buy on Amazon that I know aren’t available in stores, so I go straight to Amazon. One small example is good quality double edged razor blades. I prefer shaving with old style double edge razors, but finding them in stores is almost impossible. Amazon has dozens of brands of blades and brushes to choose from, all delivered to my mail within 2-3 days. One small example, but there are so many things they carry that just can’t be bought locally.
Ditto, on every point. I know Amazon is usually more expensive than I can find locally, but I'm paying for convenience and selection.

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #52  
The other day I had a towel bar come loose. It had originally been hung with just screws in the drywall.

So, I was going to use anchor bolts to make tight.

Didn’t have the right size anchors at home.

So, I thought, I can get better dressed, get in the car, drive 30 minutes to Wally (closest place that would have the product), go in the store and spend 15 minutes finding the correct isle, spend more time checking out then driving 30 more minutes home.

Or - I can order on Amazon and get free next day delivery.

I didn’t think long and the towel bar was up by noon the next day.

I agree I am getting lazy in my older years!

But - to me - that is the appeal of Amazon for all the little everyday things we need that aren’t rocket science or require brand names.

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #53  
We just moved to our forever home. Bought land and built my retirement home. The neighborhood we lived in for the past 3.5 years, spoiled us. Our mail carrier knew us by name, and we her. We were very lucky, being in a small town, to have the same carrier and same UPS / Amazon / FedEx drivers.

Our new house is literally 6 miles away, but we have different carriers now. So far, we've had several Amazon deliveries show as "Delivered", but not show up. Our USPS Mail Carrier has not shown up with mail for the past 7 days. Apparently, he went on vacation and never came back to work.

Hope things get better!

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #54  
We just moved to our forever home. Bought land and built my retirement home. The neighborhood we lived in for the past 3.5 years, spoiled us. Our mail carrier knew us by name, and we her. We were very lucky, being in a small town, to have the same carrier and same UPS / Amazon / FedEx drivers.

Our new house is literally 6 miles away, but we have different carriers now. So far, we've had several Amazon deliveries show as "Delivered", but not show up. Our USPS Mail Carrier has not shown up with mail for the past 7 days. Apparently, he went on vacation and never came back to work.

Hope things get better!
I had some issues with mail delivery last year, not just packages. I made a visit to discuss this with the local postmaster. The problems stopped after that visit.

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #55  
I had some issues with mail delivery last year, not just packages. I made a visit to discuss this with the local postmaster. The problems stopped after that visit.
Yes Sir... that is on my "to do" list for today after work!

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #56  
Friends live on a gravel road which used to get muddy in spring. (It probably still does.) The mail lady drove a Saab and refused to drive to their house in springtime. But she didn't leave their mail at the post office: she left it in her car, and lived about 25 miles away. They would go several weeks without getting their mail, 35 years ago when most of us still recieved our bills and checks in the mail.

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #57  
In the "Buyer Beware" category:

One type of item that I have gotten burned on at Amazon recently is NPT plumbing fittings. The vast majority of the advertised "NPT" products recently have all been metric G threads, aka BSPP/BSPT, which are the same diameter and thread pitch as NPT, but they are a parallel pipe thread that needs an o-ring or washer to seal. So, threading BSPT into NPT doesn't get to an interference fit, resulting in gobs of sealant and tape, or leaks.😒

(BSPP= British Standard Parallel Pipe (Thread))
(BSPT= British Standard Pipe Tapered (different thread profile)

I was looking for an NPT cap/plug set last night, and every plug/cap that I found with a high resolution image was not actually NPT. Grrr...

All the best,

Peter

More here for the curious;

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #58  
In the "Buyer Beware" category:

One type of item that I have gotten burned on at Amazon recently is NPT plumbing fittings. The vast majority of the advertised "NPT" products recently have all been metric G threads, aka BSPP/BSPT, which are the same diameter and thread pitch as NPT, but they are a parallel pipe thread that needs an o-ring or washer to seal. So, threading BSPT into NPT doesn't get to an interference fit, resulting in gobs of sealant and tape, or leaks.😒

(BSPP= British Standard Parallel Pipe (Thread))
(BSPT= British Standard Pipe Tapered (different thread profile)

I was looking for an NPT cap/plug set last night, and every plug/cap that I found with a high resolution image was not actually NPT. Grrr...

All the best,

Peter

More here for the curious;
You might want to check your figures there, ponytug. Non-tapered NPT is actually NPS, not BSP. BSP(P/T) is a completely different system, although there are similarities in some sizes.

I have bought a lot of plumbing fittings on Amazon, and I'll agree that's not their forte. Try McMaster-Carr instead, usually same day or next day delivery, easier to find the items (time is money), and you know you're getting quality fittings.

/ Got burned on Amazon (well, sort of) #59  
You might want to check your figures there, ponytug. Non-tapered NPT is actually NPS, not BSP. BSP(P/T) is a completely different system, although there are similarities in some sizes.

I have bought a lot of plumbing fittings on Amazon, and I'll agree that's not their forte. Try McMaster-Carr instead, usually same day or next day delivery, easier to find the items (time is money), and you know you're getting quality fittings.
Sorry to mislead anyone. Yes, NPT is not BSP, nor BSPT.

My issue was with coupling normal US NPT, tapered pipe, to certain Amazon fittings that were not tapered. Not a great fit in my view, but more to the point, not what I supposedly purchased.

I agree with you on the McMaster-Carr endorsement. Their next morning delivery of parts has saved me more than a few times, and their customer service has often gone to bat for me to find slightly different versions of their parts. Worth every penny in my book.

All the best,

Peter