Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #301  
I thought part of this was to not send trash downstream, although it may make a difference how big of pieces are sent downstream.

That is the Coquille River, and is either the last bridge on the river, or the second to the last bridge on the river, so all that debris will wash around a bit, but end up as drift wood and beach trash, and not smashed up against the next bridge or dam.

I'd probably time it just after high tide so the debris will mostly get flushed out of the bay.

The log jam I am clearing is less than 1/100th of that mess.

Hard to believe the weight of all that waterlogged debris doesn’t just pull the winch vehicle into the water….

Maybe there’s a release mechanism and the end of the cable just falls to bottom of the river?

Some kind of a breakaway is probably a good idea.

While the actual winch vehicle isn't shown, the video seems to indicate the company has a lot of heavy equipment. And winching around a Track Hoe may well take a lot more force than that log jam can apply before whatever anchor or grapple they're using breaks free.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
I thought part of this was to not send trash downstream, although it may make a difference how big of pieces are sent downstream.

No. The objective is not to send the whole mass at once, or large tree section at once.
Cutting or removing pieces, piece by piece, has always been the objective to decrease the chances of harm downstream

That is the Coquille River, and is either the last bridge on the river, or the second to the last bridge on the river, so all that debris will wash around a bit, but end up as drift wood and beach trash, and not smashed up against the next bridge or dam.

I'd probably time it just after high tide so the debris will mostly get flushed out of the bay.

Some kind of a breakaway is probably a good idea.

While the actual winch vehicle isn't shown, the video seems to indicate the company has a lot of heavy equipment. And winching around a Track Hoe may well take a lot more force than that log jam can apply before whatever anchor or grapple they're using breaks free.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #304  
So, logs stuck in the mud, in slow water, 3' deep.

I think you'll get through this okay.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
Me, too.
But it’s a lot of water, and there’s some smart people here with good ideas, so asking for suggestions never hurts.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #306  
As someone who has read the posts on this thread, I've noticed that there are two kinds of responses for the most part. There seem to be those who would never take a chance on anything and view the whole project as an insurmountable risk and since they aren't willing to tackle the project no one else should either.

And then there are those who say yes there's a chance that this won't work out the way I want it to but I'll try to mitigate risks/dangers to the best of my ability and get the job done. I wish more people thought like this. Our world would be a better place.

Hay Dude I'm with airbiscut. I think you'll get through this ok. I like your attitude towards the whole job and I look forward to seeing the end result. I'd love to be there giving you a hand but my age and skill sets don't fit in with the job. Plus I'm a border and many km's away. All the best!

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #307  
Have you contacted the United States Coast Guard to clear it with them?

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #309  
Believe the appropriate authority would be the Army Corp of Engineers for navigatable water ways within the United states :)

This is the Corp test vessel for navigable waters.

dilly-dally-canoe.jpg

:D

Bruce

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #310  
I'd recommend that you buy yourself a decent pike pole or two. Pike Poles

They are also good for setting a line in a place where you can't reach.