Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
Have at it Rambo . You will not like it .
OK, Why? I love work like this.
Makes me feel full of life, risk taking, satisfied.
I have done land clearing and logging for 40 years. Just haven’t done any in a river yet.

Last edited:
   / Got asked to bid a very unusual project #202  
Why? I love work like this.
Makes me feel full of life, risk taking, satisfied.
I hope your basketball sized testes do not get in the way of some of those logs!
😂

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #203  
You might want to have a couple blocks to run rope through. You would need one of those big concrete anchor blocks also. That way, you could have a little extra pulling power. Just another thought to throw into the hat.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #204  
Thanks for all the replies. Some have been quite interesting. :ROFLMAO:
I think it’s going to be either an 20 ton tracked excavator with a rope pulling the carefully cut debris to the bank after the pieces have been shortened by cutting the leading edges off. That way the pieces are shorter, less likely to cause damage if they get away.

With the limited access area in which to work, I'm curious how to plan to do this? I could see a situation where the rope is never quite the right length unless it was on a winch that you could let out or take in. Does the excavator actually have a winch cable on the boom?

And then, I start to worry whether you could pull from the angle needed unless you also had some re-directs in place?

Even on my simple clearing work last week, I had one simple, small hanger that I could only get down by moving the winch over a few feet to change the angle of pull a bit.

If you had multiple anchor points to winch from, at least you've expanded your options for getting something loose that otherwise might have to be cut. And the cutting part could get to be difficult and dangerous.

With the limited access area in which to work, I'm curious how to plan to do this? I could see a situation where the rope is never quite the right length unless it was on a winch that you could let out or take in. Does the excavator actually have a winch cable on the boom?

And then, I start to worry whether you could pull from the angle needed unless you also had some re-directs in place?

Even on my simple clearing work last week, I had one simple, small hanger that I could only get down by moving the winch over a few feet to change the angle of pull a bit.

If you had multiple anchor points to winch from, at least you've expanded your options for getting something loose that otherwise might have to be cut. And the cutting part could get to be difficult and dangerous.

The other side of the river has a flat area from which to work. Park excavator over on that side and pull pieces to shore.

Easier said than done, but I’m up for it.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #207  
Person on the pile should wear a life preserver of some sort, and I would have a boat nearby or in the river.

Once the tops are cut off and removed, it should be safe enough to peel things away from the edges (low water, 3' depth, modest current).

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #208  
I hope your basketball sized testes do not get in the way of some of those logs!
😂
Once he's in the cold water, it won't be a problem anymore.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #210  
Then, those basketballs may float.