Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I currently have a 25' dual tandem 24k deckover gooseneck. Since I sold my old backhoe and now the heaviest I have is my MX5100 and my Bobcat 334....(both about 8k pounds max) the trailer is a little overkill. And its not getting any younger. So I am considering selling it and getting a 24' gooseneck but one that is a drop deck more like a typical bumper pull equipment trailer....except with a gooseneck hitch.

Seems they arent as common and not as many of them out there to choose from.

What I am struggling with is pricing. I am seeing $7000-$8000 prices on trailers that are nothing more than a 14k equipment trailer only with a gooseneck instead of a bumper pull hitch. But for whatever reason, that seems to command about double the price of a bumper pull version and I cannot understand why?

Here are a few that come up...
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 9.36.01 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 9.36.19 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 9.36.23 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 9.36.28 AM.png
Screenshot 2020-07-29 at 9.36.32 AM.png

I am really looking at either appalachian trailers or kaufman trailers.

I can get an appalachian 23' trailer, 15k, for under $5k
Equipment Gooseneck Trailers for Sale by Appalachian Trailers!

Or I can get a kaufman 24' in the same ballpark. $4790 for standard (24" OC crossmembers and 14k rated), or $5190 for their delux (17" OC crossmembers and 15k rated).
OR on either one of the Kaufman I can add tilt deck for $300 more.
Equipment Gooseneck Trailer for Sale by Kaufman Trailers! 866-455-7444

So really, what makes a loadtrail, Diamond C, PJ, Suretrac, Lamar, Big tex, or so many others worth $3000 more?

Or why would I want to buy a 6 year old titan (never heard of them).....for $1500 MORE than I can buy a bran new kaufman or appalachian for?

Just looking for some insight. There are SOOOO MANY trailer MFG's out there but at the end of they day....most use the same axles....and the rest is just steel, wood deck, paint and lights. Cant justify $3000 more for a fancy "big name" sticker. Alot of things I am a believer in "you get what you pay for"....but is that really the case on a simple trailer here. AMO trailers is another "lesser known and cheaper" trailer that is popular around here. As is Quality trailers. But I dont think AMO makes goosenecks, and quality trailers only sells to dealers and dont have pricing on their website.

Any other "affordable" brands I should look into?

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #2  
You might check the Ironbull brand. I bought a 20' 14K bumper pull a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it.

Before I bought that trailer I had looked at many trailers in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming but couldn't find one setup the way I wanted it or in the quality that I wanted. While traveling through Idaho I happened onto a dealer that had a large supply of trailers. I looked at probably 10 to 15 trailers he had in stock but none fit what I wanted. I happened to spot the Ironbull sitting back in a corner, asked the dealer about it. He had just gotten it in that morning and didn't know a thing about it including price. I checked it over, weld quality, wiring, deck, etc. and was impressed. Told the dealer to price it out. He came back with a cash price of $4400 which included a spare tire. Sold.

I know Ironbull makes gooseneck trailers but I don't know a thing about them. Price wise the Ironbull was more than the cheap trailers I had looked at but a lot less than the name brand quality trailers setup the way I wanted them.

When looking at trailers be careful of the features. One of the pictures you showed had drive over fenders and full width deck. That alone can add a lot to the price.

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #3  
LD, Just curious as to why you're against a bumper-pull since you're somewhat downsizing anyway. Just curious.

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over
LD, Just curious as to why you're against a bumper-pull since you're somewhat downsizing anyway. Just curious.

Dont like making 100 new friends that think since I have a trailer they can borrow it when Im not using it.

That is the single biggest reason. But I also like the pulling/handling characteristics of a GN, easier hooking and unhooking as I can see the hitch on my flat bed instead of guessing where the insert is, its easier to get the load balanced right on the trailer without too much/too little tongue weight, etc etc.

Several reasons really, but the main one is not too many people around me have a GN in their truck.....so with my current trailer being a GN....almost no one asks to borrow:thumbsup: And I dont have to seem like a snob for always telling people no

When looking at trailers be careful of the features. One of the pictures you showed had drive over fenders and full width deck. That alone can add a lot to the price.

Sure. But a 6 year old trailer of a brand I have never heard of before wanting $6500 just didnt seem right.

The full width and drive over fenders is not important to me. If I were optioning one out, Id rather spend an extra bit to get tilt, or upgrade to 14 ply tires, or 8k axles. Drive over fenders and full width would be about the last on my priority list of upgrades

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #6  
I take it you are only looking at used trailers. When I was looking at trailers I only looked at used also but found out people thought trailers appreciated in value rather than depreciated.

I take it you are only looking at used trailers. When I was looking at trailers I only looked at used also but found out people thought trailers appreciated in value rather than depreciated.

Not sure why you think I'm only looking at used.

Of the 5 I screenshotted off Facebook marketplace, 3 are new sitting on dealer lots.

And the prices I quoted off Kaufmand and Appalachians websites are also new.

The general theme of my post is pondering why PJ, diamond c, load trail, Gatorade, big tex, ET AL seem to sell for $8000 ballpark when similar trailers like Kaufman and Appalachian are $5000 ballpark.

What does PJ offer that would entice someone to spend 50% more instead of buying a Kaufman?

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #8  
Call them. I don't know about Appalachian but Kaufman is priced at the factory so freight is added on top of the trailer price.

When I priced Kaufman, by the time it was delivered it was considerable higher than other comparable trailers. For me to go get it wasn't practical either. As I remember it was over 1,000 miles each way and I would have to take time off work to pick it up on a week day. Maybe you are closer so it might be worth while.

Call them. I don't know about Appalachian but Kaufman is priced at the factory so freight is added on top of the trailer price.

When I priced Kaufman, by the time it was delivered it was considerable higher than other comparable trailers. For me to go get it wasn't practical either. As I remember it was over 1,000 miles each way and I would have to take time off work to pick it up on a week day. Maybe you are closer so it might be worth while.

Not really reasonably close to kaufman, but I am to appalachian.

/ Gooseneck:Drop deck and NOT deck-over #10  
A good friend from my NY days picked up a Kaufman deckover gooseneck at the factory 2+ years ago. He is happy with it. We had an older similar Kaufman at work here. It was overloaded chronically and not well cared for but still gave good service for a long while.

They are not a Cadillac trailer, but they do not command a Cadillac price, either.