Good News---Awarded a Grant

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #21  
Can we PLEASE not twist another thread into politics! I wood like to see more of what the OP makes.

P.S. Should I turn out some more bad puns?

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #23  
No politics here.

Why do you need a "Grant" to do this?

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #24  
The title of the thread was about ... Awarding of a Grant. Not turning wooden spoons. But I will stand down now.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant
It was awarded by the PA Council on the Arts. It is a state grant, there is a large selection board, they have told me I submitted one of the best proposals they have every had come through. This is specifically a Folk Art Grant. Folk arts are traditional, cultural based arts. The grants are available to artists to train in art forms that are disappearing.

Why A grant, with out the grant I would not be able to travel and take two weeks to train with one of America's best spring pole turners, buy supplies to forge tools etc
The grant does not pay me, only my teacher. I am receiving knowledge which was almost lost.
Robin Wood, Jarrod Stone Dahl, Rodger Abramson, and a few Romanian turners have kept this tool alive. It is making a comeback, one person at a time. (they can be found on line and youtube).

This grant benefits myself and my community.

The grant had, like all grants have multiple pages to fill out. We had to list exactly what we were going to do each and every day, what skills were going to be taught, and how this will benefit our community.

We have a local living history museum that is all volunteer that has no one working in wood. I plan on spending time there showing, and demonstrating how to use the lathe.
I will also be doing free community presentations on how my apprenticeship worked.
Please understand I feel a huge responsibility as the first person in my county, and first wood worker to be awarded a folk art grant to do right by and for my community.
This is not something I take lightly. My family, grew up on farms in the area and made a lot of their own items. This is keeping the tradition alive. It is honoring the memory of my Grandmother who was an amazing craftswoman. She quilted and we did Psyanky eggs together.
I enjoy making things, always have. In my carvings I only use storm damaged or abandoned wood. I utilize what I am given. My wood is worked green. Its a different way to work from the power tool workshop.
In Sweden they call it SLOYD or SLOJD, it means farm house craft. There is a saying in Sweden "I am not UnCrafty" There is a great ted talk Watch "I m not uncrafty - A craftsman definition of art: Jogge Sundqvist at TEDxUmea" Video at TEDxTalks by Jogge Sundqvist
There is also Greenwood Fest that happens in Plymouth MA and is headed up by Peter Follensbee who is on Roys show a lot. I attended this year and was blown away by the instruction and people that I met. Names like David Fisher (bowl carver), Jo Jo Wood (spoon carver), Beth Moen (bowl carver), Jogge Sundqvist (Sloyd artist) taught classes that I was able to take.
I will not get into the is it art is it not. I know what I make honors my Grandmother and the time she spent with me teaching me about who I am, where I come from, who I should be.
I have added two larger pictures of the lathe. I tell people its a Hemi, Its made from Hemlock :)
IMAG2505.jpgIMAG2506.jpg.

That is the beauty of art, it inspires. And just between you and me, the personal satisfaction of using your hands to create things of such beauty has to be greater than copying it with a 3D printer. Harv you get it. And there are many people out there that also understand making things of their two hands that will outlive them. I eat everyday with a spoon I have carved and a bowl I turned. There is a great book out there called "A Hand Made Life by Bill Copperwaithe While I dont agree with everything in the book, his ideas on utilizing things we make are spot on.
Using your hands to make something, its powerful. Its why my 8 yo daughter has her own tool box. She learns to use a tool its hers, as long as she takes care of it. I want her to have that feeling of being a Maker, instead of a total Consumer.

The title of the thread was about ... Awarding of a Grant. Not turning wooden spoons. But I will stand down now.

The grant is for spoon carving, and utilizing a spring pole lathe.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #28  
Nothing wrong with that grant at all. Today there was a story about $125 billion waste covered up by the Pentagon. What is that other than grants to defense contractors. This country needs to support wood crafts as well as billion dollar airplanes that do not work. Our younger folk need role models other than Rambo. I applaud the op for his work.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #29  
That is the beauty of art, it inspires. And just between you and me, the personal satisfaction of using your hands to create things of such beauty has to be greater than copying it with a 3D printer. Harv you get it. And there are many people out there that also understand making things of their two hands that will outlive them. I eat everyday with a spoon I have carved and a bowl I turned. There is a great book out there called "A Hand Made Life by Bill Copperwaithe While I dont agree with everything in the book, his ideas on utilizing things we make are spot on.
Using your hands to make something, its powerful. Its why my 8 yo daughter has her own tool box. She learns to use a tool its hers, as long as she takes care of it. I want her to have that feeling of being a Maker, instead of a total Consumer.

One of my friends has an autistic 13 year old that is fascinated with the metal working. I'm in the spectrum and appreciate the advantages it offers the creative spirit. When we get back from our big trip in the motorhome I will share what I have learned with the young man when it comes to working metal.
The big reason is a very selfish one. I missed out on having a mentor walk me through all of the mistakes in self taught school. If the young man sticks with it and it fits then I can easily imagine a twenty year old doing things with metal that I never could. And at my age he would be giving to the world beauty way beyond my capability.

That's why art is so important. It isn't just about the moment. It's about the sharing and the potential that can only be experienced and shared between the artist and the public through generations.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #30  
State and local governments can effectively support activities that are valuable in their communities. But there are important research objectives that must draw on a national or even international pool of expertise and institutions. That is where the federal government has a role.