Good News---Awarded a Grant

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #11  
Lol Harv thanks! It is Tax Funded, and I did figure out what % of the PA state budget my grant was and its a whopping 0.000012698412698412699 :O

You do know of course that some boy or girl is going to see what you can create with your hands without electronics and take it somewhere we can't even begin to comprehend. That is the beauty of art, it inspires. And just between you and me, the personal satisfaction of using your hands to create things of such beauty has to be greater than copying it with a 3D printer.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #12  
Lol Harv thanks! It is Tax Funded, and I did figure out what % of the PA state budget my grant was and its a whopping 0.000012698412698412699 :O

You do know of course that some boy or girl is going to see what you can create with your hands without electronics and take it somewhere we can't even begin to comprehend. That is the beauty of art, it inspires. And just between you and me, the personal satisfaction of using your hands to create things of such beauty has to be greater than copying it with a 3D printer.
State or local tax dollars, I might be all for it. Fed tax dollars... NO! I agree that it could be a great inspiration for some others if they are properly exposed! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the tool and output!

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #14  
There are over 900 grant programs offered by the 26 federal grant-making agencies. These programs fall into 21 categories:

Agriculture
Arts
Business and Commerce
Community Development
Consumer Protection
Disaster Prevention and Relief
Education Regional Development
Employment, Labor, and Training
Energy
Environmental Quality
Food and Nutrition
Health
Housing
Humanities
Information and Statistics
Law, Justice, and Legal Services
Natural Resources
Science and Technology
Social Services and Income Security
Transportation

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #15  
You enjoy salmon, clean estuaries, pheasants, etc.... in your state?

Grants & Incentives | Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
Like I said... I 'might' be all for it if it state or local sponsored. Most of these... NO as well. We have three counties here in Washington out of 39 that drive the boat.

There are over 900 grant programs offered by the 26 federal grant-making agencies. These programs fall into 21 categories:

Agriculture
Arts
Business and Commerce
Community Development
Consumer Protection
Disaster Prevention and Relief
Education Regional Development
Employment, Labor, and Training
Energy
Environmental Quality
Food and Nutrition
Health
Housing
Humanities
Information and Statistics
Law, Justice, and Legal Services
Natural Resources
Science and Technology
Social Services and Income Security
Transportation
Someone please explain why we need to fund most all of this list when it can be done more locally that best suits its citizens. 'Granted' there are probably a handful I could support but if I was holding the presidential 'pen'...
For the record, I am not knocking the OP's receipt of a grant. It was available... why not take advantage of it because someone else will!

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #16  
Best example I can relate to is art. Much of my family is art oriented. Heavily art oriented. My mom was an abstract painter. Much of her work was disturbing to me, and lauded by the art community. So who's to say it wasn't art? She was also a fine elementary school art teacher and state teacher of the year. She didn't push her agenda on anyone. And she never sought grants.

However, I know of several cases of local artists getting federal grant to "make art" and the art was offensive to a large majority of the population. Uproar!!! :laughing: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... or in the box of excrement. :p

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #17  
Hi all thought I would share some great news I received. I put in for a PA Council of the Arts grant to study Turning on a Spring Pole Lathe (a traditional non-electric tool). There is a bit of a revival with this tool, and I have been turning using it for the last year. This summer I will be able to study with one of Americas best, Jarrod Stone-Dahl. He is a great craftsman and teacher.
We will be going over forging out hook tools for turning, various aspects of turning too.
I was also able to piggy back a spoon carving segment in the grant.
I have been carving spoons almost daily since Hurricane Sandy hit us, still just utilizing storm damaged or abandoned wood.
I am the first wood worker to receive this award and the first in my county. They were really impressed with my application and I hope to be able
to really grow from this experience.
I have not been posting much, have been very busy, but I still check in.
All the best!
Jeff
(Forgeblast)

I used to watch Roy Underhill on The Woodwright's Shop quite often. I was fascinated when he'd use the spring pole lathe. Really neat. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Roy Underhill’s Double Spring Pole Lathe - Popular Woodworking Magazine

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #18  
   / Good News---Awarded a Grant #19  
Best example I can relate to is art. Much of my family is art oriented. Heavily art oriented. My mom was an abstract painter. Much of her work was disturbing to me, and lauded by the art community. So who's to say it wasn't art? She was also a fine elementary school art teacher and state teacher of the year. She didn't push her agenda on anyone. And she never sought grants.

However, I know of several cases of local artists getting federal grant to "make art" and the art was offensive to a large majority of the population. Uproar!!! :laughing: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... or in the box of excrement. :p
Good on your mom!!!

Fine but why do I have to pay into the Federal Government for 'art'? Sure I appreciate art (well some it) but I don't want to be forced to pay for it at the Fed level. I need customers to want my product or service to be financially successful. So shouldn't any profession or hobby for that matter? Last thing we need is for some bureaucratic agency decide what artist is successful. At least commissioning at the local level will be met with much more scrutiny and will be ousted if the locals squawk. Feds hide in anonymity as they dole out funds to whoever for whatever reasons. It's a whole lot easier to spend other people's money especially the more removed you are from the situation.