Good News---Awarded a Grant

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant #31  
I totally respect hand crafting of any kind.

I was just curious why it requires a Grant. Still not sure since you don't get paid out of it?? It seems you already have the talent required to help educate your community in the craft. Good luck with that path.

I hafta stand with dragoneggs concerning the thread title. Seems to be little info concerning applying for and being awarded Grants. More info concerning the craft itself. But hey, threads evolve all the time here on TBN. :)

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant
I was just curious why it requires a Grant. Still not sure since you don't get paid out of it?? It seems you already have the talent required to help educate your community in the craft. Good luck with that path.

Each type of turning requires a specific skill, and a specific hand forged tool to utilize that skill. Turning plates, is different then turning a bowl. Turning a nest of bowls requires blind turning and different tools, while end grain cups require a tool that is conical vs hook shaped. There is a lot of task based knowledge that I do not possess.
Craft created in isolation, leads to developing bad habits that can impede your growth. A quality teacher like Jarrod can tell me move my elbow up or turn the tool, or use a different sized mandrel to get the surface finish I am after. The bowls I am turning now are almost where I want them, but I am hitting a wall with taking them to the next step. That is where this grant comes into place it allows me to avoid blind spots.

/ Good News---Awarded a Grant
The big reason is a very selfish one. I missed out on having a mentor walk me through all of the mistakes in self taught school. If the young man sticks with it and it fits then I can easily imagine a twenty year old doing things with metal that I never could. And at my age he would be giving to the world beauty way beyond my capability.

That's why art is so important. It isn't just about the moment. It's about the sharing and the potential that can only be experienced and shared between the artist and the public through generations.

Yes!! Teachers want their students to surpass them, we have been there and done that and are able to hopefully guide them to greater things.
A part of us is passed down. I started off self taught with spoon carving, then I started attending spoon gatherings. A bunch of us would get together to share techniques, and wow did I get better. I learned things that I did not even realize I needed to learn. Now when I go to them, I love to help the newer spoon carvers because I still remember what that is like. Having a Mentor is a huge help, congratulations on taking on that responsibility.
I cannot wait to hear more about your work with him!

I though I would also share one of the last spoons I carved. I have been studying up on chip carving, and the patterns that my Grandmother and I would put on psyanky eggs.
P1010663.JPG