Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #188,951  
That sounds cool, but wondering how protective the parents will be? ... She and her boyfriend saw a low flying bald eagle go over our place.
The biggest threat to the upcoming goslings are red tail hawks. We have plenty. With past hatches the gosling count starts at 8-10, then the count slowly dwindles down. Usually about two survive to maturity.

/ Good morning!!!! #188,952  
went plant shopping at Bountiful Acres today, they don't have any warmer veggies in yet, but did get some kale and cabbage plants.
plus two more willow shrubs for the back yard, trying to assist mother nature in draining Lake Drew.

now to read my book for an hour and then head to dentist.

garlic smashed yucca, that sound interesting Ken. Pasty?

/ Good morning!!!! #188,953  
Good Morning!

Cloudy, 68F to 80F with winds starting up around 2pm.

Got a lot of the limb burned yesterday. Still a lot left. Mowing, trimming, spraying, cleaning on the agenda for today.

Grass is growing fast. Will need to mow grass by the weekend.
Seems like I am starting over as soon as I get finished.

going to take a happy pill later and go get tortured. It's what dentists do best.
Hope it goes as painless as possible.

Also running out of time , because we leave for another vacation on April 23rd !
Enjoy those vacations! The work will always be there.

Buppies, hoping your sleep issues get better. Maybe you can get a nap in today.

Hoping everyone has a great, safe day! Enjoy some good food, family and friends!
Pray for our Nation!

/ Good morning!!!! #188,954  
RS, I am very pleased with my raised beds. What is extra helpful is having them sized for hoop frames from side to side, so you can cover the
whole thing if desired. My next door neighbor's farm, whose wife is in the local gardening club, has beautiful raised gardens with those hoops, saw that yesterday morning. I'll go back and take pics for you (and the boss) and post them.

(y)

Yup.

This one YouTube channel we found that The Woman liked was this farm girl in Western Ohio in roughly the same Zone as we are: Zone 6a/b.

Was minimally aware of hoops and covers prior to that, but got a real education watching her as far as the amount of frost/freeze protection they provide.

Her paid day job is as a seed evaluator - companies send her seeds they develop, to grow and evaluate, which she does and then reports back to the companies. Pretty cool gig.

Currently planning on using ladder meshes - which is used to tie masonry brick/block walls together - for hoops:

hohman-and-barnard-220_lrg.jpg

Relatively cheap and the thinking being that they would be a little more sturdy that just a single wire and because they would provide easy access to all areas of the bed.

Don is also very knowledgeable about raised beds I bet.

I'm sure.

His has irrigation, life is good.

He has to ... he's in Texas ...

:LOL:

of course today just google raised bed gardens and you'll get all the pictures you need.
You can build these from scratch pretty easily, or buy kits, or just the corner connectors.

Yup have watched a few YouTubes on constructing them.

One of the ones I thought was pretty cool was this one where the guy went over these corner connectors which are available from the Depot and Lowes:

Pretty slick ... and relatively cheap ... depending on how high you want to go.

The downsides are you limited to 2 x 6's if you want to go up multiple levels ... and it's still not as cheap as just using screws.

I'm guessing the Chinesium cedar boards used in mine will last five years. Just remember not to have pressure treated boards near veggies.

Actually I am looking at PT boards ... but it will depend on the method used to treat them.

Hopefully I'll find some stickers still on them when I disassemble them.

Or put a plastic barrier in. I did that on raised beds in NC.

I well may do that.

Just don't want veggie roots going into the treated wood. Particularly strawberries because they have strong roots.

The strawberries aren't going anywhere ... at least anytime soon.

as we get older, bending over constantly becomes less fun.

Yeah ... for me, bending has never been fun.

In fact, much like standing, I can't do it for any length of time.

I use a kneeler to garden and plant with, and that has worked well.

I have one ... but I'm about as fond of kneeling as I am of bending or standing. Often use it to sit on the ground, keeps the butt dry.

I'd much prefer to "garden while sitting" ... ;)

/ Good morning!!!! #188,956  
Good Morning!!!! 49F @ 8:15AM back here in Yankee Hill. Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 71F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

Yesterday started off in the rain, a bit of heavy rain about a half hour in. Pretty much dry the rest of the trip but drizzling at the end. Almost no traffic on the first part on 101, too early on a Sunday morning for most.

Had a strange package in the parcel box, something I didn't order. Three vehicle trackers that plug into the OBDII ports. Not sure how they got here, as the shipping label made out by the shipper didn't have my address. But UPS had put three of their own stickers on it, each with my address. I'll keep it for a week, then toss it out.

Also found both the emergency warning radio and the UV water purifier on the Fritz (not Frits ;). I have UV tubes left over from the old system, but they don't fit the new system. Not sure what to do about the radio, and really don't have time to mess with it.

I'm hoping to finish packing the trailer and van today and tomorrow, hit the dump for a tire amnesty day Wednesday, then head back south on Thursday. It will be a busy week.

Been listening to podcasts on the trips, and they do a pretty good job of keeping me awake, better than music or talk radio...

Hope everyone's week gets off to a great start!

/ Good morning!!!! #188,957  
Well, I got the hole dug for the posts, waiting on the cement which is supposed to be here later today. Went 5.5' deep, still below the frost line of 4'.

Got the trailer loaded up for the dump run tomorrow. Put the $2200.oo glass top stove with convection oven right on top. 5.5 years old and one of the burners quit. Replaced it with an AMANA old school stove. You know the one with the coils/rings for heating up your hot knives or lighting cigarettes. 😇

/ Good morning!!!! #188,958  
Good Afternoon,
Good luck cleaning pool scotty
Thanks Buppies ! 🙏
Enjoy those vacations! The work will always be there.
TBS, thanks that is so true !

Ken, thank you for that tip, I may partially drain and then use the floculant for the deep end ! Will see how this goes !
Day started off badly with my old Echo weed eater not wanting to start ! I have had this thing for ever, so I just bought a new Echo and a gallon of True Fuel ! Hopefully no more problems this summer ! The old one was losing compression

/ Good morning!!!! #188,959  
with a mighty crack, out came my tooth.
not so bad, though when numbing wears off.
went to supermarket and got some soft food for a few days.
just have to remember to chew on other side.

looking forward to planting the plants and shrubs I bought this morning.
getting nicely warm outside, on came the golf shirt

/ Good morning!!!! #188,960  
Good Morning Everyone,

a little bit of catching up in this thread while I have a coffee. Then I'm back to the spreadsheets and tax files in my home office (30 ft away from coffee pot :) )

Sunny day and I want to be outside with the dog

I just received my deposit money back on the Market Place tractor deal that did not proceed, so that's a relief.

helping a buddy locate and connect on an old '65 GMC truck with dump box. probably taking a drive out on Friday to check it out. Not sure what he plans to do with it, but I think he just has "projects" in gis blood (a hobby), and this thing is pretty cool.

have a good day