Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #184,141  
Wow everyone, keep warm! I just read posts quoting 7F, 10F, 11F, and 12F degrees in various places. Very cold and widespread!

A rainy soggy 39F going to 47F here in Formerly-Great California.

Wife and I are going to walk the property today evaluating the merits of building a 2nd residence. Before, restrictions were suffocating and expensive. Although we have nearly 100 acres and just a single residence, a base building permit to add a small 2nd residence started at $36,000, then onerous demands for expensive road improvements and lot more got added. No-go. A fresh new State law curtailed much of the County's power to deny permits and demand excessive fees. It's my understanding we can now build a 1,000 +/- sq ft 2nd residence for a $16,000 permit fee, no other demands, and most importantly, the County can no longer refuse to issue a permit. So, we will walk the property and kick around ideas about that.
Still way too high IMO.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,142  
Wngsprd I like cold weather just not high heating bills
Same here, but 9 degrees is maybe too cold...just came in from outside chores...no wind, so didn't feel too bad. I feel sorry for the folks with EVs that are stranded since the batteries are too weak from the cold.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,143  
40º going to 65 today. Washed one car yesterday, finished up cleaning the chimney soot out of the fireplace after the flue sweeping. Had a nice fire and baked some garlic buttered salmon last night with string beans. Yummy Keto.
Got rubber hubs to put the yard drain line cleanouts in today in preparation for rain next weekend. Cleaning gutters again on the agenda. Love the summer shade but these big eucalyptus and pepper trees are messy.
Stay busy and have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #184,144  
Still way too high IMO.
Costs are so variable by location. Not far away, we built a 5,000+ sq ft residence in Northern Nevada for a permit fee of $3,000.

The bigger issue in CA was the County demanded a $155,000 road improvement or they would not issue a permit. So, nearly $200k in admin fees *before* you start building. The new law strips the County's power to impose such requirements. For small residences.

Weather should clear up by daybreak. Ground will be wet, but we will enjoy walking the property and forest today! Hope everyone stays warm-- seems most of the country is in a deep freeze!!

/ Good morning!!!! #184,148  
thought I might throw some much cheaper ice melt down on driveway since it may not melt today.
called local hardware store

what kind of ice melt do you have?
none

ok
good thing I still have some left
not worth driving far for it, will pick some up tomorrow.
with more snow on Friday it helps with the ice.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,149  
Morning all;
A nice bright sunny day to start with today,
also a nice brisk 9F this morning. I'll go out and do some snow removal in a bit today.
We ended up with about 6 inches of snow. I'll be using a blade today, too many small
limbs in the driveway to consider a blower.
The coal insert is keeping the Kitchen end of the house in the 70's (73), the oil burner kicks
in a couple of times a night for the bedroom end of the house it's set at 60.
Keeps the oil usage down considerably.

Everyone stay safe warm and healthy

/ Good morning!!!! #184,150  
Good Morning.
12° with a high of 20 today under a clear sky.

Yesterday’s snow removal went well, just did my place and son’s, as he was out of town, but DIL and grandson were home.

When I built this place almost 40 years ago, I was obsessed with making it as energy efficient as possible. That meant no fire place or chimneys, a complete envelope of sprayed in urethane insulation foam from under the basement slab to the attic. Its heated and cooled by an open loop geothermal heat pump with no back up, as none is required for an open loop system, the ground water is 55° regardless of the outside temp, and is of virtually unlimited capacity (the geo loop, not the system)
The result has been exactly as planned, the house is extremely comfortable with consistent temperature throughout. I have averaged about 15 years out of each heat pump. Each one has benefited from advances in process control and become more efficient, and using less water.

However, I’m planning on putting a fireplace in my new “in law suite” that will become my new home. I like tending the fire and the radiated heat, even though I realize I’m sending conditioned air up the chimney.
This will be on a slab, which I plan to heat with propane warmed water to break the ground chill, but use mini splits for overall heat and AC. The advances in efficiency of the mini splits take away a lot of the advantage of going geothermal.

I now have the township approvals and exemptions that I needed to move forward with the project, so now I’m doing the design work. I’m will be hands on, but I’ve decided to actually hire a general contractor to run the project. I’m confident that we can work well together, allowing my level of involvement to vary without impeding progress.