Goats ate the invasives

/ Goats ate the invasives #31  
Back in the 90s, I knew a Professional Trapper for the State of California. Most of his work in dealing with Mountain Lions was in Crow Canyon, but there where Lions all over the East Bay. It was common for a Lion to kill a dozen or more goats or sheep and not eat any of them. Pets disappear every night from Lions. Every year, more problem Lions are killed by Professional Trappers then the yearly total from when it was legal to hunt them.
Yes... lion population increasing...

/ Goats ate the invasives #32  
My dad had goats, which I was tasked with taking care of, and I came to dislike them. Especially when they would jump up on my car and scratch the paint off the roof. My Dad, I have to say was a stupid person and thought the goats would only eat weeds. They took out an entire ten acers of peas we were attemptinfg to grow.
A whole herd showed up one day on my own property, and would not go away. Two Ewes, three babies and one Ram. No one came to claim them after asking around. I adopted them. Feed them, built shelters and got them water and stuff. The local cougars eventually killed off all the Ewes and the babies, and I was left with Ramsey, the Ram. He was a piece of work. He considered my area to be his and would randomly attack people. Technically it was a Barbados Sheep, yet this was a goat. It started ramming its head against the sides of the trailers we were living in while the house was being built. Lots of damage to the trailers. And he became a problem attacking the contractors. One contractor said they would take him for breeding: So off he went... just wanted this animal gone.
A few years later I found out that the herd was from one on my neighbors, that had escaped their fence and the ram was named "Cowboy." I had to ask, "Why didn't you get them," when I posted everywhere of this lost herd. It was chilling to hear, "We didn't want them any more."

/ Goats ate the invasives #33  
I don't know if they still use them, but the local Army base used goats to keep the grass down in the munitions storage area and at the fuel dump. They don't produce ignition sources as fuel fired equipment can.

/ Goats ate the invasives #34  
Young Johnny was in school and teacher was explaining math to the class and posed a math question...

If farmer Jim has 10 goats and 1 gets out how many remain... Johnny rased his hand and said none... teacher asked again and no one responded so she said the answer is 9.

Johnny raised his had again and said no teacher... if one gets out they all get out...

This is true. When I got 6 Boer goats, they completely stress tested my fencing and found all the weak spots. Some of the vulnerabilities they exploited were never found by neighbor's Nigerian goats on the other side. Talking to my goat ranching friends, they say it completely depends on the type of goat. They raise 400 angora goats and have little trouble. They said Boer goats are the worst for exploiting fences.

/ Goats ate the invasives #35  
Good to know as every year do weed abatement I think is this the year for goats???

/ Goats ate the invasives #36  
Won't the goat manure just spread the unwanted vegetation farther afield?

/ Goats ate the invasives #37  
Vegetation is everywhere...

Fire department wants cut no longer than 6 inches.

Tilling and Disc prohibited ..

/ Goats ate the invasives #38  
Won't the goat manure just spread the unwanted vegetation farther afield?
I suppose it might, but on the following year the sprouting weeds could easily be controlled with a single early 2,4,D application. Then I think you'd be in the clear to do regular maintenance.

/ Goats ate the invasives #39  
You sure about that? My neighbors goats are super friendly. They come when called. Love to have some affection and rubs. Very communicative. They are not dumb creatures. Nowhere near a dog, sure.
I think it has a lot to do with how they're raised. Most of my goats aren't friendly, but the one whose mom died last winter and we had down by the house with the kids is definitely friendly. She comes when called, and likes to be petted.

/ Goats ate the invasives #40  
Our herd is growing. We've had 6 babies in the last week and more are coming. Here are 5 of the 6.

260583752_4859466074076995_6907155686562568731_n.jpg