Glow Plug Life Expectancy ??

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
How often do you all have to change your GP's?
For a 3 cyl engine it seems like 2 a year is irritating.
I don't rely on them hardly at all, under 40 degrees it is plugged in before I need the tractor and then don't use gp's.
I think it starts very easy above 60 without them, never been ethered, #1 in the winter, Hobb's fuel treatment always.
160 hrs on 2 gp's, maybe used them 20 times.
Yet this week I tested them with a test light and all 3 are dead.
:mad:

Last edited:
   / Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #2  
25 years and 2000 hours on the originals for me. I did change the glow plug relay and controller this year.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #4  
Never needed to replace any:

Ford 1210 (1980's vintage, bought used w/ under 1000 hours in 1991) was main tractor for 110 years, still have it.

Kubota B7500HST - bought new in 2002, sold in 2012. Don't recall hours.

Kubota L3200HST - bought new in 2012, sold in 2019. 524 hours.

Kubota L4240HSTC - bought used in 2018 with 977 hours, currently around 1,500 hours.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #5  
My 1999 NH TC33D never had any GP's replaced. I had it for 20 years and always activated the GPs unless tractor was being restarted when warm.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #6  
How often do you all have to change your GP's?
Good Afternoon fidowanttobe,
I have a 1986 Massey Ferguson MF1040, about 2000 hours, still have the original GP's ! If its cold I have to have the plugs on for 30 seconds, if its warm its much shorter ! Tractor still runs great !

Attachments

• IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
   / Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #7  
Glow plugs should last decades and thousands of hours. If you’re burning them up annually then there’s an underlying problem.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ??
So, . . . . .
Is it the copper anti-seize I put on them, too much torque installing, or just the quality of the gp?
They are fed with a 10 gauge wire, copper bus bar and a relay off the starter stud.
Dunno what 'm doing wrong. Can they be used not enough?? I know, sounds stupid.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #9  
So, . . . . .
Is it the copper anti-seize I put on them, too much torque installing, or just the quality of the gp?
They are fed with a 10 gauge wire, copper bus bar and a relay off the starter stud.
Dunno what 'm doing wrong. Can they be used not enough?? I know, sounds stupid.

I guess it could be extremely substandard glow plugs but I’d guess they’re coming on more frequently than they should and burning up. The 3rd option is maybe they’re not actually burned out. I’d wire one up and stick it across the battery post for a reliable test.

/ Glow Plug Life Expectancy ?? #10  
The glow plugs on the Mercedes V6 diesel have failed periodically> they are very fragile and subject to breaking when removing. Have to let the engine warm up before attempting to remove so the differential expansion in the aluminum block works. The glow plugs on the Kubota diesels have never failed