GL4 or GL5 front axle lube

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #1  

CloverKnollFarms

Elite Member
Tractor
TYM4820H
The manual on my TYM 4820 simply says to use 80w90 oil. Ok. GL4 or GL5? I see that GL5 can be unfriendly to yellow metals. My manual does not specify

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #2  
I use UTTO. It is great stuff. I have no concerns that the parts that need lube will outlast me and my heirs. The transmissions in tractors are filled with gears. The "special needs" of hypoid drives will just need to bow to the requirements of the masses. ;-)

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube
I'm guessing no one pays much attention to Gl4 or Gl5... They just use 80w90 and roll with it

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #4  
I'm guessing no one pays much attention to Gl4 or Gl5... They just use 80w90 and roll with it

GL4 is usually used in manual transmissions. I'm pretty sure that most front axles on tractors do not have soft metals in them which are usually found in transmissions with synchromesh.. Therefore it should be reasonable to assume that GL5 would be fine to use in the front axle. I am no expert so use your own discretion.

Hope this helps!!

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #5  
I use Amsoil 80W-90 GL5 as it states it is also GL4 compatible.

Use in differentials, manual transmissions and other gearapplications requiring any of the following specifications: API GL-5,MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E, Dana SHAES 234 (Formerly Eaton PS-037),Mack GO-J or other GL-5 based specifications from vehiclemanufacturers, including Ford,* GM* and Chrysler.* Can also be used in axles where an API GL-4 lubricant is recommended

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #6  
Just a point to note:

Gear oils in the 80 and 90 weight category are not necessarily "thicker" than 30- 40 weight motor oils. The two lubricants use different viscosity scales.

Some people feel " thicker is better. but no... not so.

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #7  
Just a point to note:

Gear oils in the 80 and 90 weight category are not necessarily "thicker" than 30- 40 weight motor oils. The two lubricants use different viscosity scales.

Some people feel " thicker is better. but no... not so.
Sure seems thicker to me.

I don't really care the viscosity... But the sheer qualities for the intended purpose

/ GL4 or GL5 front axle lube #9  
Here is a question...

Are hypoid gears used on tractor drives?

Spiral bevel YES but Hypoid? I'm not aware.

Here is a question...

Are hypoid gears used on tractor drives?

Spiral bevel YES but Hypoid? I'm not aware.
I guess I’m confused. Are you saying we should all just use motor oil where gear oil is recommended?