GFCI Wiring Issue

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #21  
Actually, while i never have lights and outlets on same circuit in bathrooms, ive never seen a code against it.

unless its a city or local code.

the NEC allows a gfci to be used anywheres within the same room.

This. Ask inspector to site the Code he is referencing. Maybe there is one, but if there isn’t, he can’t just make up rules.

(Perhaps ask “diplomatically”: “Hey, my electrician wants to make sure he wires it to the correct Code section, which one are you referencing?”)

To me, it seems the additional shock and fire safety of the light being on a GFCI circuit outweighs the danger of the room being dark when there is a ground fault.

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #22  
When my Wife and I built our house, I had a copy of the UBC and NEC that were being used by the County. My inspector was awesome and a great source of information. I was an Aircraft Mechanic, not a contractor. When he found a problem, I asked him to reference the section I was in violation of so I could reference and understand what I did wrong, and what I needed to do to correct it.
That kept us friendly and on target.
Patrick

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #23  
Honestly, every bedroom now days share light and outlet circuits due to cost of ark fault breakers. Inspectors can care less if they all go dark when outlet trips.

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #24  
Is there someone who can explain how to correct a GFCI outlet in a bathroom which was initially wired to ALSO remove power from the adjacent overhead light if tripped? Home inspector noted as a non-conformance and a safety issue. The overhead lights need to remain energized if the GFCI trips. TIA Yooper Dave
The light being on the GFCI is absolutely NEC compliant. Anything in the bathroom can be on the GFCI. Ask the inspector for a code reference and he will not be able to provide one.

That said, removing the light from the GFCI could be simple. If you remove the wires on the "load" terminals and put them on the "line terminals, it should do the trick. However if there are other receptacles down stream that require GFCI protection (another bathroom or outside receptacle), you will need to install GFCI receptacles there also.

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #25  
Im sure things are different by region.....but around here....lighting is usually never on the same circuits as any receptacles. Because most receptacles are on 20a circuits with 12ga wiring and lighting circuits are 15a/14ga.

Actually, while i never have lights and outlets on same circuit in bathrooms, ive never seen a code against it.

unless its a city or local code.

the NEC allows a gfci to be used anywheres within the same room.
Not an electrician, and dont know the code....my 1987 house probably pre-dates whatever code may or may not apply....but.....I only have 3 GFI circuits that are original to the house. The two bathrooms, and the kitchen.

But I figured out a few years ago my outside receps are GFI protected off the bathroom GFCI circuit. I string some LED christmas lights around my outside fence and deck for the month of december. And probably 5 times per season...(moisture/humidity) causes the LED strands to trip the GFI in the bathroom.

So.....not that I plan on changing anything.....but is it compliant to have an outside recep GFI protected off a bathroom circuit since they arent in the same room based on current code?

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #26  
yes and no…..a garage circuit can extend to cover exterior outlets, but a kitchen or bath circuit cannot extend outside.

actually, a kitchen circuit can extend to cover a dining room and thats about it. A bath gfci can extend to another bathroom only.

/ GFCI Wiring Issue #27  
yes and no…..a garage circuit can extend to cover exterior outlets, but a kitchen or bath circuit cannot extend outside.

actually, a kitchen circuit can extend to cover a dining room and thats about it. A bath gfci can extend to another bathroom only.
Thanks. Interesting.