Getting rid of old gas.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #32  
I wouldn't use straight gas, old or new, to start a fire. Even mixed with motor oil or diesel it will still flame up if the gas is still volatile. l left some untreated gasoline in my zero turn once and the next spring it wouldn't start or even backfire. I poured out the old gas in the gravel in front of my shop, threw a match on it and it didn't light, after several matches hit in the pool and wouldn't lite, I had to try something else. I got my propane torch and heated the gas up for a few seconds and finally got it to start burning and it smoked like burning an old tire. I could sure see why the lawnmower engine wouldn't start with it in the tank. Luckily we new gas in the tank, it started right up so I lucked out with no carb repair needed.
I have since never stored engines with untreated gas in them. A double shot of Red Stabil keeps the gas usable next spring. I do try to only put a small amount in the tank, less than 1/4 tank then fill the tank in the spring with fresh gas. For small engines like a push mower, I drain the tank and store them dry.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #33  
What I do with gas that is getting old (like 3 months old) is that I put that in my trucks fuel tank, as much as I have. It doesn't seem to bother the fuel injected truck. I try to use up my gas before it is more than 3 months old and all of it starts getting Stabil toward fall when usage falls off. During summer months I fill up 2 -5 gal. containers and a 2.5 gallon at a time. It takes about 4 gallons to mow my yard each time so that is just about 3 weeks worth of fuel.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #34  
Your (my) county landfill will will accept gas as a hazardous material. There will be a little higher charge hazardous material though.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #35  
volatile. l left some untreated gasoline in my zero turn once and the next spring it wouldn't start or even backfire. y.
Did you check the kill switch?

While I have forgotten or been to lazy to use Stabil, in sleds, bikes, and mowers, and they all started the next year. I think it was bad to do, but they still started.

I use Seafoam often, but I also think gas must be better then it was 30 years ago.