Getting rid of old gas.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Helped a friend clean up her dad's house after he died. I ended up with several gas cans that she couldn't use. The gas is at least 18 months old. So I am using about a quart to half gallon every time I fill up the Bad Boy.

Does anybody see any problems, have another solution?

/ Getting rid of old gas. #2  
find someone you don't care for and put some EXTRA gas in their tank for them. they will think their car is getting extremely good gas milage.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #3  
just kidding

/ Getting rid of old gas. #4  
I got about 10 gallons of really old gas (10 years) from work, I will use to start brush fires. Will likely mix with diesel and used motor oil to lower volatility. Though I did use about a quart on a fire about a month ago, straight, didn't 'flash' like fresh gas at all.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #5  
find someone you don't care for and put some EXTRA gas in their tank for them. they will think their car is getting extremely good gas milage.
Old gas not treated turns to something close to varnish. Guess if you run enough fuel through anything a small dose shouldn't hurt anything. Too much and I'd be worried about fuel injectors etc. Personally I only buy the premium fuel (no ethanol) and add Stabil. In the old days I saved the sawdust from my workshop to use as a sponge on the fire pit. Dump the gas before you light the match of course.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #6  
Helped a friend clean up her dad's house after he died. I ended up with several gas cans that she couldn't use. The gas is at least 18 months old. So I am using about a quart to half gallon every time I fill up the Bad Boy.

Does anybody see any problems, have another solution?

That should work. It will get diluted good that way.

Don't dump it on the ground and lite it up. I had some gas in a boat I wanted to get rid of so I dumped a couple gallons on the driveway but I didn't have matches with me. I walked 50 feet to get some and by the time I lit it up the fumes traveled about 50 feet into a woods. Luckily for me it just flashed but wasn't a sustained heat so the woods and the house was spared. Fumes will travel.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #7  
I doubt a quart to half gallon is big deal.

I use mine for burning stuff. Dump it in a non approved container.

/ Getting rid of old gas. #8  
That should work. It will get diluted good that way.

Don't dump it on the ground and lite it up. I had some gas in a boat I wanted to get rid of so I dumped a couple gallons on the driveway but I didn't have matches with me. I walked 50 feet to get some and by the time I lit it up the fumes traveled about 50 feet into a woods. Luckily for me it just flashed but wasn't a sustained heat so the woods and the house was spared. Fumes will travel.
In a previous house we had the dreaded box elder bugs that would winter in the garage. Cleaning up one day and got a big pile of them. Never having found anything that would kill them I looked around and found a can of Coleman stove gas. Figured if they could keep it on the shelves at WalMart it would do the trick. When I struck the match I saw what looked like that ending scene from "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Fast upward spiral of hot blue flame. We have moved a few times since then and seem to have traded box elder bugs for Asian lady beetles. Not so sure which ones I hate the most but I won't repeat the experiment.

/ Getting rid of old gas.
Nobody has posted anything screaming that I'm going to screw up my engine so I guess I'm OK doing this. My plan is to use a quart a tankful until it is gone. May put a gallon or two in my truck to speed the process.

A recycling place near us uses a Kubota skid steer. The owner had a diesel pickup that had serious engine trouble due to bad diesel. Like a new engine if I remember correctly. So they drained the tank and burned the fuel in the Kubota. Said the filters it had enabled them to burn anything.

Just telling.

RSKY

/ Getting rid of old gas. #10  
That what I do with any old mixed gas I have. I mix it at 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons in my boat. Never misses a beat.