Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop"

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #1  

Ductape

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
So I'm staring at my tractor's rearend the other day............ and I said to myself, "Self........ it would be so much cleaner without that loop hanging off the back of the tractor".

I came up with an idea, maybe its been done before? I'm picturing a steel hydraulic manifold, bolted to the bottom of my ROPS, just inside my right rear tire. It would have an "H" shaped passage(s) through it. In the center of the "H" would be a shut off valve of some sort........ a simple manual ball valve, an electric (12V) solenoid, or maybe even something pressure sensative? When the hoe is on, the valve in the center would be closed forcing the fluid through the hoe. When the hoe is off, opening the valve would complete the loop......... eliminating the loop of hydraulic hose that hangs off the back of the tractor now.

I would think it would be fairly failsafe on my tractor, since forgetting to open the valve with the hoe off, would cause a squeal from the pressure relief valve.

Since I'm fairly computer illiterate, I had to draw it out on paper and take a picture of my diagram. Hopefully it will give a reasonable visual of what i'm talking about. If such a device already exists, perhaps someone could just steer me in the right direction with a part number and a place to purchase this.

Thoughts??

HydraulicManifold001.jpg

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #2  
Something like what you have drawn is exactly what I used one time when I had a backhoe on a small skid loader. It allowed the flow to bypass when the bh was not connected and then when it was connected I could close the valve for full flow to the bh. I actually just used threaded pipe and the ball valve, for my no money solution, but I am sure that there is a more elegant way to do it. I will await those with much more experience in this kind of thing to provide the definitive answer.

Mike

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #3  
You could probably accomplish the same thing with a single spool valve. You'd want a valve without a spring return to center. You could mount the valve just about anywhere and then just run the hoses back to QD's attached to the ROPS.

I know valves aren't cheap, but I don't think a custom manifold with the built in valve is going to be any better.

This one from Surplus Center should do the trick. It has a detent to hold it in the open position.

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #4  
I don't like the manual valve you have in your design. Seems like it could cause problems if it was accidentally closed when the hoe wasn't on the tractor.

One of my quick connects for the hoe is mounted to a bracket that is welded to the rops. I still have the 'loop', but it doesn't move around.

Vic

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #5  
Keep the loop, and just mount the QD's to a bracket like the way JD does it.

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #6  
Keep the loop, and just mount the QD's to a bracket like the way JD does it.

I think in Ductape's current set up he has to connect the tractor side QD's to each other in order to complete the circuit when the backhoe is not attached.

In JD's setup, isn't there some kind of valve?

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop"
I think in Ductape's current set up he has to connect the tractor side QD's to each other in order to complete the circuit when the backhoe is not attached.

Correct. I find the loop irritating and occaisionally in the way. Shirley there is a better way than having a loop sticking out the back of the tractor.

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #8  
You can see the quick connect bracket mounted to the ROPS on the right side in this picture.
The loop it makes when the hoe is off is small and is stationary.

Vic

Attachments

• Carry-All-Complete002.jpg
    Carry-All-Complete002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 199
   / Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop"
Vic, does your 3 point not rub on the hose when its raised?

/ Getting Rid Of My "Backhoe Loop" #10  
It doesn't rub with the two implements I have, but if I had to spread the lower links a little wider it would. The dealer welded the bracket to the ROPs when I bought the tractor. The bracket could have been attached a little higher which would have provided more clearance.

Vic

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New Jisan Hydraulic Grapple (A34302)
New Jisan...
4886 8640 JOHN DEERE C/A 4WD QR 18.4X38 10053HRS 1981 MODEL 10053 S/N:8640H006819RW (A34733)
4886 8640 JOHN...
1978 Shopmade Gooseneck Trailer (A33113)
1978 Shopmade...
(5) METAL HAND RAILS, 8'LX 42" HIGH (A34808)
(5) METAL HAND...
2013 John Deere 4730 Self-Propelled Sprayer (A34573)
2013 John Deere...
7' Best Livestock Equipment 7' Barn Scrapper (A34302)
7' Best Livestock...