Getting my new GC1715 today!!

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #1  

CBCGC1715

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
So today I get my GC1715. I will be sure to post pictures. So far only attachments I have are a 60" Drive over MMM, loader, and a back blade 60"

I have a question about a grease gun....What does everyone use?

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!!
Update plans changed not going to get the tractor until Monday :(

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #3  
CBCGC- Welcome to TBN and congratulations on your new tractor. I wish you many long hours of uneventful and boring operation together.

Good luck.

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #4  
Congratulations on the upcoming delivery! My new 1710 arrived at my house on Thursday. I'm going to continue using my JD garden tractor for the mowing and snowthrower for now, though I used the FEL to cut some new channels in the snowbanks to let the runoff out (good thing as it was almost 70° here yesterday!)

I'll use my usual generic grease gun loaded with JD lithium complex grease; it's JD grease as the dealer had given me one when I bought that tractor a couple of years ago.

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #5  
So today I get my GC1715. I will be sure to post pictures. So far only attachments I have are a 60" Drive over MMM, loader, and a back blade 60"

I have a question about a grease gun....What does everyone use?

Welcome, congrats on your new tractor. For 10 years I have used a Lincoln PowerLuber 12 volt grease gun, and with only 1 battery I have not ever had a dead battery.

I might put the battery on the charger maybe every third or fourth greasing, and I just recently purchased a "lock on" grease fitting (should of bought this long ago) for it.

KC

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #6  
Congrats on the new tractor! Great little workhorse. I have been using an air powered grease gun from O'reilly's auto parts. I think it cost around $30. I have heard good and bad things about the HF air grease gun

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #7  
Might want to add your location to your profile. Someone here may live close by and could be a valuable asset.

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #8  
For a starter, I'd suggest a regular manual grease gun with one handed trigger squeeze and a flexible hose tip -- makes it easier to operate and attach to all the oddball fittings on a tractor which can be in awkward positions. You can get them for $15-20.

And be aware that the zerk attachment on grease guns has a threaded nose collar that controls the tightness of the jaws when it goes into a zerk fitting. When new, the collar will be tight. Be sure to loosen it up with pliers **before** you use the gun for the first time, so that you can tweak the grip tightness as needed.

I can tell a fun story of using a new grease gun on my first tractor and not being able to detach it from the zerk fitting. Wasted a good 20-30 minutes trying to get that bugger off while the grease gun was dangling from the front loader with the tractor parked on my trailer. Of course I picked the most awkward fitting first, and it was nearly impossible to get pliers in there to loosen it, not to mention I was offsite and didn't have a lot of tools with me. I ran out of curse words on that experience.

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #9  
Check out the "Lock N Lube" coupler for the grease gun, they work slick..

/ Getting my new GC1715 today!! #10  
I can tell a fun story of using a new grease gun on my first tractor and not being able to detach it from the zerk fitting. Wasted a good 20-30 minutes trying to get that bugger off while the grease gun was dangling from the front loader with the tractor parked on my trailer. Of course I picked the most awkward fitting first, and it was nearly impossible to get pliers in there to loosen it, not to mention I was offsite and didn't have a lot of tools with me. I ran out of curse words on that experience.

Oh yeah -- been there, done that too. I'd forgotten all about that when I got my current grease gun, which is just an old-school manual one. I snapped it onto to the axle zerk on my JD and then spent 20 minutes releasing it.

I'm not sure that I ran out of curse words, but that's because I was blessed (?) to have grown up in metro NY, and learned many in several different languages. :)