Getting a whole house genny installed...

/ Getting a whole house genny installed... #121  
Switched from a 50 year old number 2 oil Chevron furnace to a a brand new Buderaus Natural Gas (had Natural gas line put in for free) and bought a 16KW Generac whole house natural gas generator at the same time. Comes with a whole house auto swatch, best thing I ever did in my whole life so far. Been over a year with the Generac-has 40 hours on it, switches back and forth seamlessly and exercises itself twice a week. In Maine I had to have the cold weather package as well. Just did the first tune up :) Generator and install was $5k from home depot. Generator has 10 year warranty.

/ Getting a whole house genny installed...
   / Getting a whole house genny installed... #123  
About the only thing I can add is:
Generators are expensive, they need maintenance, the power only goes out once and a while, but....
Whenever it rains and freezes, I sleep pretty well knowing a hot shower, a warm house, and a cold beer still await.
Life marches on.......
B. John

/ Getting a whole house genny installed... #124  
About the only thing I can add is:
Generators are expensive, they need maintenance, the power only goes out once and a while, but....
Whenever it rains and freezes, I sleep pretty well knowing a hot shower, a warm house, and a cold beer still await.
Life marches on.......
B. John

Isn't life grand...... :)

I'll have reread this thread as we're signing papers for a new house build and a new genny is in the deal.

/ Getting a whole house genny installed... #125  
I love my whole house gen. Its great that we don't have to worry about much

/ Getting a whole house genny installed... #126  
I could never justify the cost of operation of a whole house generator (using LP as a fuel source) if I'm actually trying to provide electrical service to the whole house when I actually need it (14 years here, I think the worse we had it was 3 days without power due to some storm).

/ Getting a whole house genny installed... #127  
I could never justify the cost of operation of a whole house generator (using LP as a fuel source) if I'm actually trying to provide electrical service to the whole house when I actually need it (14 years here, I think the worse we had it was 3 days without power due to some storm).

That's why we bought a big portable North-Star genny with a Honda motor- I can take out when I want to weld somewhere away from the house.

But it WILL also run everything we need to run in an outage, including the furnace and fridgetator.

I put it on a 4-wheeled dolly that's easy enough to wheel, that SWMBO doesn't feel stressed about being the one hooking it up.

She did it once this year already with no glitches, and that makes the next time even easier.

I did print out and laminate a step-by-step quick start guide, and put a copy by the circuit-breaker boxes in the barn [where Genny hooks up] and the basement [where the main power comes into the house], so she knows to turn off the main switch first, and only then go out to the barn for the genny hook-up.

NorthStar Genny.jpg
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200467369_200467369