Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #1  

Jean-Paul

Tractor
BobCat CT335, Ford 3600
I have a Bobcat tractor, CT335, and blew a hydraulic hose recently. By the time I realized it, about 8 gallons had drained. On a Bobcat tractor, a common reservoir serves for the hydrostatic transmission and hydraulics.

The dealers charge $65 to $75 for a 2 1/2 gallon container. But I can buy a 5 gallon container of just hydraulic fluid from the shop that fixed my blown hose for $50. However, I am reluctant to use it as I'm not sure if it is also compatible for the transmission. The Bobcat dealers can not give me a definitive yes.

But, a year or so ago, someone had sent me a picture of a gallon container by a third party manufacturer that was labeled "hydraulic/transmission fluid". Of course, now I can not locate the image. My question for the forum: Does anyone know of a dual purpose fluid that will work with both systems on a Bobcat tractor and not cause any problems/damage? Thanks in advance.

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #2  
Regular hydraulic fluid is missing the additives that make tractor fluid play well with wet brakes and clutches.

TractorSupply carries Mobil Delvac which should work fine.

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid
Regular hydraulic fluid is missing the additives that make tractor fluid play well with wet brakes and clutches.

TractorSupply carries Mobil Delvac which should work fine.
Thank you for the response. My major concern is since the Bobcat also uses the same fluid for the hydrostatic transmission, as it shares the same reservoir, is it also safe for the transmission. I would hate to have to replace the seals there. I think Bobcat is one of the few tractors that do this.

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #4  
Pretty much all HST tractors share the Hydro fluid between HST and the other hydraulics. Gear tractors often have a separate transmission fluid reservoir. Lots of info about fluid on this site...

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #5  
Pretty much all HST tractors share the Hydro fluid between HST and the other hydraulics. Gear tractors often have a separate transmission fluid reservoir. Lots of info about fluid on this site...

They don't.

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #6  

Kubota #70000-40205 5GAL SUPER UDT2 Installation Tips

Kubota #70000-40205 5GAL SUPER UDT2​

$140.62​

59 In Stock
Product replaces 70000-40105 70040-4L105 70040-4P105
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Add to Cart
Weight: 42.00 lbs
  • Kubota® Super UDT2 is a multi-purpose all-weather hydraulic fluid.
  • This product is specifically recommended for use in the Kubota hydraulic, final drive, transmission, differential, and wet brake systems.
  • Kubota® Super UDT2 provides the following benefits to Kubota equipment:
    • Improved transmission performance and protection at high and low operating temperatures
    • Unique friction characteristics on wet clutches enables smoother start off, drive control, and PTO connection
    • Superior corrosion resistance and efficient filterability protects transmission and hydraulic systems
    • Improved transmission efficiency through reduction in power loss
    • Meets Kubota’s stringent specifications

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #7  

Shop all Mobil

Mobil Delvac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid, 5 Gal​

(74)
SKU:148546299

$84.99​

Image file

Neighbor’s Club Members earn points with purchases. Sign in or Join Now
Never run out again with a TSC Subscription from Tractor Supply Co.

TSC Subscription available on a schedule that is convenient for you!
Learn More

Product Details​

Mobil Delvac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is a high-performance, multipurpose tractor lubricant is designed to optimize the performance of agricultural and commercial tractors operating in a wide range of environments and conditions. Mobil Delvac tractor fluid combines select base oils and an advanced additive package to deliver the varied lubricant performance properties required in severe-duty applications of agricultural and construction equipment drivetrains, reducing wet brake, and Power Take-Off (PTO) chatter. Has enhanced frictional properties to help clutch, PTO performance, and is compatible with latest clutch materials and elastomers to help create longer clutch life and reduced leakage. Delivers excellent protection against rust, corrosion, and yellow metal etching to help prevent premature wear for equipment in wet or humid environments. Strong anti-wear and extreme pressure properties can help reduce wear, extend equipment life, and reduce maintenance costs. Mobil Delvac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid has new, innovative packaging with a comfort grip on the base of the pail and a molded in-lid vent to make pouring more ergonomic and efficient. Recommended for: API GL-4, Caterpillar TO-2, Denison UTTO/THF, Ford New Holland ESN-M2C-134-D and FNHA-2C-201.00, John Deere J20C, and more. Meets or exceeds the requirements of the following industry and builder specifications: Kubota UDT1 and ASTM D6973 (Eaton 35VQ) vane pump test.
  • A high-performance, multi-purpose tractor lubricant designed to optimize the performance of agricultural and commercial tractors
  • Delivers the varied lubricant performance for severe-duty applications of agricultural and construction drivetrains, reducing wet brake, and PTO chatter
  • Enhanced frictional properties to help clutch, PTO performance, and helps to create longer clutch life and reduced leakage
  • Excellent protection against rust, corrosion, and yellow metal etching to help prevent premature wear for equipment in wet or humid environments
  • New, innovative packaging with a comfort grip on the base of the pail and a molded in-lid vent to make pouring more ergonomic and efficient

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #8  
I used to formulate and blend lube oils and from what I remember of that marketplace pretty much everyone makes a Tractor/Hydraulic product. Just so you understand why I generalize and say just buy any brand name you trust: realize that base oils are a commodity that few people make. Blenders buy to spec often from different sources. The magic is in the additive chemistry, and unless you are "Big Oil" you can't afford the costs associated with developing these formulations. So, to support the industry, most blenders simply buy a formulation from the largest additive manufacturer (Lubrizol) and it is tailored not to some brand name spec, but to the base oil you use to reach an industry standard spec.

I would trust and buy a Mobil product any day (and they were our competitor).

/ Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #9  
After a little Google research it's confirmed that the Bobcat HST tractors use a fluid with special additives. I did more research trying to find the ISO grade of Bobcat fluid. They keep that close to the vest. Couldn't find anything. Couldn't even find a picture of a fluid container that showed the ISO grade.

Your owner's manual might divulge that information?

I use Kubota fluid. SUDT2 synthetic. I pay the price. When I did my 50 hr change I bought aftermarket fluid. Immediately noticed in cold weather my power steering would howl for a few minutes until it warmed up. When it was time to change again I went back to Kubota SUDT2. Howl went away.

In my searching I found a pdf file that might be a little helpful for you. It's attached.

Attachments

• ct335-maintenance-chart (4).pdf
    98 KB · Views: 46
   / Generic Hydraulic-Transmission Fluid #10  
Thank you for the response. My major concern is since the Bobcat also uses the same fluid for the hydrostatic transmission, as it shares the same reservoir, is it also safe for the transmission. I would hate to have to replace the seals there. I think Bobcat is one of the few tractors that do this.

Its common for modern hydrostatic transmission CUTs use the hydraulic fluid for the transmission. Mine does. I can't think of one that doesn't but there's probably one somewhere.

HSTs need clean fluid but don't need special additives. Some (not in tractors) use 10w-30 motor oil instead of hydraulic oil or tractor fluid.

It's too bad that the oil recomendation is "ask your dealer" instead of a spec or a couple examples.

I'd be confident putting Delvac in it but if you're going to stress about it, just pay the dealer.