General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires?

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #1  

FormulaXFD

Tractor
Kioti DK5320
Hi folks,

Doing a search didn't produce anything, which surprises me. I'm awaiting delivery on my new tractor, and have the options for tire still. My old Mahindra 4540 ran Ag tires and it always had great traction. My land is woodland that I've been cleaning and converting into more functional use, eventually serving a small farming homestead setup (but right now I'm still cutting roads and putting in culverts). If you normally ran R1 tires and went to R14, what is the good vs bad? Do you regret going to R14s?

Cheers!

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #2  
I’ve had R14’s on both my tractors. I like them, no issues, no complaints. Great traction in virtually all conditions. However, I haven’t owned a tractor with R1’s so I can’t make a fair comparison between the two.

Mike

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #3  
I don’t have R14s, always had R4s, but it might be useful to review the differences.
R1s (as outfitted by tractor manufacturers) are narrow with deep bar lugs. They are superior for over all traction, especially ground engagement, but they can cut trenches and rough up the ground. They also have less sidewall strength than R4s, so they are not as good for construction or heavy loader work. R4s are wider, have stiff sidewalls, and are better for construction and loader work. They also tear up the ground less, but do have less traction for ground engagement. R14s are a compromise between R1 and R4 tire designs that are designed to incorporate some of the best of each design, and may be the best multiple use style. But for dedicated uses, the R1 and R4 styles excel at the uses they are designed for.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #8  
Those wide radial R1s are a great option. But those are not the R1 choice that manufacturers offer on tractors in the compact/utility categories.
I surmise you did not take time to view Messick's video.

Last edited:
   / General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #9  
DIY grooved R4 tires for this hillybilly. Another option. Need the sidewall strength for loader and backhoe.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #10  
I surmise you did not take time to view Messick's video.
No, I have recently bought a tractor and just now looked at the machine builder site online. Those wide R1 radials aren’t offered as an option.