GC2310 4WD selector

/ GC2310 4WD selector #11  
Any news or update on this issue Irvingj ?

/ GC2310 4WD selector
Thanks for the inquiry!

No, just studying and re-studying (!) the service manual, trying to memorize the procedure, to work it out in advance in my head. Still haven't decided if I want to tackle the whole job by myself or not. I'm planning to visit with my "new" dealer in the area (about an hour and a half away; Northwood Power is no more, apparently), who seem amicable to my presenting them with a partially disassembled tractor to minimize labor costs --if I decide to go that route.

The problem is removing the front cover of the transmission: it certainly appears that, in order to prevent gear shafts from dropping out, it really should be tilted upward/vertical. Unfortunately, that means disconnecting & removing the transmission from the frame, quite a bit more involved than I was hoping.

In any event, I won't attempt it until the weather warms up a bit. I do have a heater in my garage, but I'm betting it'll take me several days (I'm wicked slow!) to get the job done, and I can't afford to be without the tractor/blower during snow season, which often lasts until May --sometimes LATE May-- around here. The ol' Rock and a Hard Place thing. :confused3:

/ GC2310 4WD selector #13  
I was wondering the same, but figured I would hear from you if you had any news.

How amicable has a lot to do with how much work they have to do.

Come spring, they will all be pretty busy.

/ GC2310 4WD selector #14  
As long as you have a backup mower,I think I would attempt to fix it on my own, once the warmer weather gets hear.

Either way,best of luck to you !

/ GC2310 4WD selector #15  
That's too bad, then again you have had pretty good luck with that thing so far. :)

at least it isn't down during snow season.

maybe you can take the opportunity to do some videos of the repair? I sure have found youtube to be an invaluable resource for getting help with unusual problems.

/ GC2310 4WD selector #16  
Yeah, why don't you get it all figured out, so if my pump shears, you can come down here and do it for me? :D

/ GC2310 4WD selector
You guys are killin' me! :laughing:

I'm leaning more & more toward tackling it myself, and yes, I would definitely document the process with photos; I'm not much good on video, and wouldn't know what to do with it after, anyway. Heck, I just learned how to post pics!

No, I don't have a back-up mower; once I got used to the MMM on the 2310, I sold my old push-mower, a Toro with a Suzuki 2-stroke on it. The 2310 with the MMM did a better job, 3X as fast, and used less fuel to boot. Definitely a no-brainer.

And I think the break on the 4WD shift lever is most likely my own fault; I keep reminding myself to NEVER start down a slope that's wet or snow-covered in 2WD, but invariably forget occasionally and jam the lever into 4WD to prevent the inevitable toboggan ride down the slope with no control. (Learned real quick the definition of "pucker factor" on a tractor!:eek:)

I do use that lever a lot, in any case: 4WD on the way down or up a slope, then right back into 2WD as soon as I figure I don't need it. Old habit, I guess, having had a 4WD 72 Blazer with a Dana 4-spd (granny gear) for 30+ years. On that beast, you never put it in 4WD unless you were serious and really needed it-- too much wear & tear on the drivetrain (and fuel use!:shocked:) otherwise.

So Ray, if I do get it figured out --and all the linkages properly adjusted again; that's my biggest worry-- I'd be happy to supervise! :drink: "Work fascinates me-- I could sit and watch it for hours!" :laughing:

Oh, yeah-- STILL using the original battery! You're right, rj-- I have had pretty decent luck with it.

/ GC2310 4WD selector #18  
Yeah, why don't you get it all figured out, so if my pump shears, you can come down here and do it for me? :D

:laughing:

No, I don't have a back-up mower; once I got used to the MMM on the 2310, I sold my old push-mower, a Toro with a Suzuki 2-stroke on it. The 2310 with the MMM did a better job, 3X as fast, and used less fuel to boot. Definitely a no-brainer.

lucky you, this sounds like just the perfect job for that brief window between winter and summer. :thumbsup:

/ GC2310 4WD selector #19  
And no, you cannot take mine apart, to see where that part you have left over goes. When you're done. :alert:

1.5 hours to get the hangar doors open, and preflight. Bandage for sore knee, and Ibuprofen for bruised tailbone, from making unintended contact with the icy ramp, trying to move airplane, $10. Eight gallons of 100LL, $47. Flying with dad for an hour, priceless.

/ GC2310 4WD selector
Yeah, rj, they call that the fifth season around here-- MUD season! You should see what our dirt road looks like.

OK Ray, I'm jealous! What are you flying these days?

This summer, wife & I are planning a grand tour of the US (by car, unfortunately); we always stop at brother's on the way home in OH-- the last stop before home. Where are you? Brother lives @ Lake Waynoka, a bit SE of Cincinnati. ijk