GC2310 4WD selector

/ GC2310 4WD selector #21  
Our C172 today.

Tiger a week ago.

Man, I am not kidding about the sore tailbone either.

/ GC2310 4WD selector
Took another trip to the dealer yesterday, 72 miles one way, to pick up parts.

The 4WD shift lever does appear to be welded all around the contact semi-circle on one side (other side needs to be flush?), but I don't know if this is an improved version or not. Won't know until I take the old one out, but my suspicion is that that's where the break was, which I had thought was maybe due to tack-welding in a couple of spots rather than a full bead. (That seems to be the norm these days in many manufactured parts; guess it saves time & money.) In any case, when it's in my hand, I'll post pics of what's broken.

Got the shift arm, a couple of o-rings, a spacer/washer and a new detent spring & ball bearing; also some LockTite 600 gasket maker, which is what apparently is used between the transmission and its front cover; no separate gasket.

Now, if only spring would actually get here so I can SAFELY plan to have the tractor/blower out of commission for a few days! :confused3: Had to use the blower again yesterday AM to clear the weekend's 4" or so, and right now it's snowing. Headed back near zero again tonight & tomorrow night. :thumbdown:

4WD shift arm -1.JPG4WD shift arm -2.JPG4WD shift arm -3.JPG4WD shift arm -4.JPG

/ GC2310 4WD selector #23  
Oh, yeah-- STILL using the original battery! You're right, rj-- I have had pretty decent luck with it.

I've been wondering when the heck the battery on my 2008 GC2410 was going to "give up", but reading this at least gives me hope for another season.

I saw in your other post that the lever repair is done (or almost done), so hopefully you'll be back in the seat sometime soon.

/ GC2310 4WD selector
Yep, JohnnyB, got it back on Monday.

Put on the FEL yesterday to clean out the chicken house and bring our picnic table up from "down below" using home made slip-on forks. Today I'll rig up the 3PH tiller and hit the garden, then clean that up & put it away. After that, it's time to mount the MMM. Grass is almost ready to be trimmed up here on my hill. We seem to be a couple weeks behind in our growing season; daffodils are not quite gone by, whereas "downtown" they've been gone for a week or more already.

Sure is nice to have it back! (And it's also very nice to have 2WD operational again!!)

Oh, yeah-- battery's still working fine! :thumbsup:

/ GC2310 4WD selector #25  
Glad you are happy.

/ GC2310 4WD selector #26  
I'm just putting this here for anyone looking into the past. I just read through the posts and had to search for the rest..

/ GC2310 4WD selector
Sorry, my bad! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else having that same problem (4WD selector for breaking), but you're right, it would be nice to have "the rest of the story" tied in. Thanks.

As a final comment, I've had no problems since that extensive, expensive repair; 4WD has worked fine ever since. Tractor now has flipped its hour meter, now reading 108+. (OEM battery still working....)