GC1705 block heater question

/ GC1705 block heater question #11  
when mine was left outside and the temperature just below freezing, 1/2 hour on the heater was enough to start it but not easily. If on for an hour, it would start like it was summertime without the glow plugs. A new Optima battery also made a big difference. It's inside now, but still unheated and I easily started it at about freezing with no heat and a minute of glow plugs.

/ GC1705 block heater question #12  
I am much more concerned about heating the 4.5 gallons of hydraulic fluid.

The extended warm up times in the manual suggest that's a much bigger concern.

I have a silicone pad heater on the bottom of the transmission. If a big storm is forecast, I plug in the heater a couple of days ahead of time. The heater is only 150 watts, so it's never going to over heat that much oil, no matter how long it is on. It does keep it from getting cold soaked, which allows it to come up to operating temperature fast.

Attachments

• 0921121157a.jpg
    0921121157a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
   / GC1705 block heater question #13  

I have a silicone pad heater on the bottom of the transmission. If a big storm is forecast, I plug in the heater a couple of days ahead of time. The heater is only 150 watts, so it's never going to over heat that much oil, no matter how long it is on. It does keep it from getting cold soaked, which allows it to come up to operating temperature fast.
I am also more concerned with the hydraulic fluid for the same reason. I also have a pad on my transmission, mine is 250w. I don't know how much it helps. It would be nice to know if it was helping but I have not found any way to tell. With the block heater I can feel the top of the engine and feel that it is warm, but the aluminum transmission always feels cool. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat so in my mind I believe the heat is getting to the fluid on the inside in the area were the pad is attached.

Last edited:
   / GC1705 block heater question #14  
what massey scut do you use?
the actual heater install instructions for the GC series say NOT keep plugged in as they will burn out.
Used to live in an area of cold temperatures where block heaters were used.

/ GC1705 block heater question #15  

gonna do similar next year, was finance issue this year.
so let it run many moments before moving.

/ GC1705 block heater question #16  
I am also more concerned with the hydraulic fluid for the same reason. I also have a pad on my transmission, mine is 250w. I don't know how much it helps. It would be nice to know if it was helping but I have not found any way to tell. With the block heater I can feel the top of the engine and feel that it is warm, but the aluminum transmission always feels cool. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat so in my mind I believe the heat is getting to the fluid on the inside in the area were the pad is attached.

I can feel a difference in the temperature of the housing when it has been running a couple of days. It's warm on the bottom, and you can feel it is warmer than the unheated areas, as you move your hand up.

If the bottom is warm, it's only going to warm the rest.

You could do some testing with an infrared thermometer. The temperature of the housing should reflect the temperature of the oil. For and accurate assessment, try and have the same ambient temperature in the room, and mark the spots on the housing to accurately measure for the difference.

I have never had the time, but I may this winter.

/ GC1705 block heater question #17  
I don't know what size you're interested in, but I went with this on because it has comes with a 3m backing, just peel and stick. It is also a bit larger than the one @ray66v used and would not fit where he had his. I'm pretty sure that some post in the past by ray is what caused me to get the pad heater. If I remember the next time I'm out I'll snap a pic of where I put mine.

/ GC1705 block heater question #18  
This is clearly, not a high end version, but it's certainly not a cost problem: Amazon.com

The high end ones are getting a little pricey, but I have some of these cheap ones on my satellite dish, and they seem to work fine.

/ GC1705 block heater question #19  
I don't know what size you're interested in, but I went with this on because it has comes with a 3m backing, just peel and stick. It is also a bit larger than the one @ray66v used and would not fit where he had his. I'm pretty sure that some post in the past by ray is what caused me to get the pad heater. If I remember the next time I'm out I'll snap a pic of where I put mine.

thats one I had saved in my amazon list. been wondering about placement would appreciate pic

Last edited:
   / GC1705 block heater question #20  
Don't keep it constantly plug in waste of money and you could burn your block heater or extension cord ect, but you could plug it in 1 or 2 hours before starting it up, it would warm up quicker but at that temperature depending on what kind of oil you have in it you probably don't have too.