GC1705 block heater question

/ GC1705 block heater question #1  

weeder

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 425 lawn tractor
I have a 2017 1705 that I bought this past summer it came with a block heater. This tractor stays in my garage all the time unless I am using it. The coldest I have ever seen it in my garage in the winter is 40 degrees. I was wondering if I should plug the block heater in when it is in there not being used.

/ GC1705 block heater question #2  
Those heaters are not designed for continuous use.

If it never gets below 40F, I wouldn't even worry about it. It should start fine without it.

When it's cold, you may find you need to open the throttle a little, (usually 1/8 to 1/4), before you crank it to compensate for the thicker air.

/ GC1705 block heater question #3  
Those heaters are not designed for continuous use.

If it never gets below 40F, I wouldn't even worry about it. It should start fine without it.

When it's cold, you may find you need to open the throttle a little, (usually 1/8 to 1/4), before you crank it to compensate for the thicker air.
this.

/ GC1705 block heater question #4  
Block heaters will work in continuous duty.

Lots of misinformation surrounding block heaters!

/ GC1705 block heater question #5  

Lots of misinformation surrounding block heaters!
what massey scut do you use?
the actual heater install instructions for the GC series say NOT keep plugged in as they will burn out.

/ GC1705 block heater question #6  
While I agree with this, you'll find that it will still start easier if you run it for 15 minutes or so even when the temp is above freezing.
Yeah, you could, but why would you, unless you're antifreeze/coolant is useless. The elements in these things only have so many hours of life in them. Using them more than needed just means you'll be replacing it sooner.

/ GC1705 block heater question #7  
I wouldn't bother with a block heater at 40 deg f.
When I do turn it on, it's on a WiFi controlled plug for 3-4 hours prior to use.
I suspect that they could be run continuous, but for my purposes that would be useless and unnecessarily expensive to run 400 watts over an extended period of time.

/ GC1705 block heater question #8  
While I agree with this, you'll find that it will still start easier if you run it for 15 minutes or so even when the temp is above freezing.

How "easy" it starts has much to do with technique, and things like fuel quality, battery condition, and glow plug condition.

If it needs help starting easily at 40F, there is likely a deficiency somewhere.

As I have said, mine starts right up, even in single digit temperatures.

/ GC1705 block heater question #9  
I'm (now I replaced glow plugs) good down to 5 or so deg as long as its not at that temp more than 10 hours.
but may still use block heater for 30 or so minutes while cleaning off cars even if in the teens.

/ GC1705 block heater question #10  
"Easier" is relative term. Easier to me means that the engine turns less before it fires up, no matter how much less that might be.

Last year I was away from the house and when I got home I had to leave the family in the car, trudge through the snow, get my gear on and clear the driveway enough to get the car in as quickly as possible. The temp was in the single digits. I was not about to spend extra time to warm it up with the heater. I think that most people would have said that it started right up, but I could tell the difference.