GC 1705 in snow

/ GC 1705 in snow #21  
Anytime I've tried pushing snow either with my back blade, blower or front loader and not put my rear chains on, ($125 set) I've been sorry.
YMMV

/ GC 1705 in snow #23  
Don't overthink it. No chains, no ballast, it's fine:

looks like it does a nice job. What size plow is that? Looks like maybe 60"?

I was using a 72" blade straight to push snow when I had my GC. I suppose that is a factor also. It would not push very well on a gravel drive with that blade, without ballast. With ballast it pushed very well.

I will say to the OP, just try things and see for yourself. Everyone's application, snowfall, terrain, blade size, etc., is different. No one can tell you for certain will work. We have all experimented to find what works for us.

/ GC 1705 in snow #24  
looks like it does a nice job. What size plow is that? Looks like maybe 60"?

I was using a 72" blade straight to push snow when I had my GC. I suppose that is a factor also. It would not push very well on a gravel drive with that blade, without ballast. With ballast it pushed very well.

I will say to the OP, just try things and see for yourself. Everyone's application, snowfall, terrain, blade size, etc., is different. No one can tell you for certain will work. We have all experimented to find what works for us.
It's a 4' plow, which partially explains why I get by w/o chains or loaded tires. It was originally used on a Craftsman garden tractor, I just welded it on a ssqi plate to use on the Massey. The o/p is in the same region as me, not too far from Chicago, so similar weather, snowfall, etc.

I will say, these tractors come with 4wd and a locking diff...you could get by pretty well just using those as needed.

/ GC 1705 in snow #25  
Given I'm on flat ground, I never had issue clearing my driveway with my Deere 1025R, hybrid tires, and Edge Tamers. Obviously it's a different tractor, but they are quite comparable. Hybrid tires like the R14, and in this case Carlisle Versa Turfs, are excellent in the snow. Prior to, I had R4 tires, and they'd fill with snow and slick out once there was any resistance. I hated them so much I replaced them, lol.

Now, again, I'm on flat ground- but I'm moving a fair bit of snow being in Maine. Anyhow, these are capable tractors, especially when outfitted properly.

/ GC 1705 in snow #26  
Given I'm on flat ground, I never had issue clearing my driveway with my Deere 1025R, hybrid tires, and Edge Tamers. Obviously it's a different tractor, but they are quite comparable. Hybrid tires like the R14, and in this case Carlisle Versa Turfs, are excellent in the snow. Prior to, I had R4 tires, and they'd fill with snow and slick out once there was any resistance. I hated them so much I replaced them, lol.

Now, again, I'm on flat ground- but I'm moving a fair bit of snow being in Maine. Anyhow, these are capable tractors, especially when outfitted properly.
There's a long tire thread somewhere here on TBN, a bunch of talk about R4 vs turf tires, vs hybrids and whatever. Per it and some chatting elsewhere, my takeaway is that not all industrial tires are the same. The R4s on the Massey are great...I like how they do on grass, in dirt, and I got no problems plowing snow with them either. JD and Kubota owners seem to hate theirs though.

/ GC 1705 in snow #27  
Here is a link to one thread about mounting tire chains;
Mounting tire chains

I have used about all the different styles of tractor chains around, in doing so I have come to some
fairly firm convictions on tire chains.
As far as I'm concerned the Euro studded style are the only way to go, they provide just about the most traction, while also giving the best ride quality even on roads.
I have two tractors with these at this time and have two more to suit up for this winter.
This is the style I will be putting on my little CK2620SE and the NH 8160.

1690747665070.png

chains 2.jpg

/ GC 1705 in snow #28  
When plowing snow, weight is everything.

I push a 72" loader mounted plow on my GC2310. Turf tires, gravel driveway. No chains, or loaded tires. The backhoe gives it is all the weight I need. It's almost completely unstoppable.

I also live where it's flat. None of that seems to work, if you live with mountain goats.

/ GC 1705 in snow #29  
Caution---- This tractor has front wheel assist. This is not a 4 wheel drive tractor. The front axle is not meant to drive the whole tractor, as the name implies the front axle is an assist. It is not recommended to chain up the front wheels only, the front axle can be overloaded and break. The rear wheels should be the main "drivers".

Would rather see chains on the rear and added ballast on the back. Added ballast can be fluid in the tires, an implement on the three point, or a weight box or barrel filled with concrete, stone, scrap iron, or other heavy material on the three point.

The other winter I used my MF245 with a 232 loader with no fluid in the tires, no chains, but had a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete to plow out our lane.

/ GC 1705 in snow #30  
FWIW, I built a set of chains for my old 1710 (2wd, R1 AG tires loaded). I modified a 7' truck blade to attach in place of the bucket. It would plow our road just fine so long as there was no ice under the snow. If you EVER get any ice, you'll regret not having chains. I lucked into some cheap grade 70 chain from MSC that they had discontinued, but it would have been easier to have bought the cheapest truck chains I could find and modify them to fit my tractor. Then again, I have grinders and welders so it was all a "project" for me :) I bought a cheap set of 4 rachet straps and use them to tension the chains. Once I installed them, I just cut the extra strap off and burned the ends.