Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #1  

snohobigdad

Silver Member
Hi guys.
I am looking at buying a 7' Gaspardo Sickle Bar mower to perform fence line and ditch maintenance. I will be using it on my JD 2720. Does anyone have experience with this sickle bar? Maybe even attached to a CUT? The price seems attractive. It is 7 years old and looks to be in good condition and like it has been rarely used.

Thanks so much for any and all input

Jim

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #2  
Hope it works out for you. Jiggle bars have their place.
There are plenty of wear parts to consider, as well as hitting things and needing new parts. It's the "old age" technology, but serve a good purpose.

Weight off to the side of a lightweight tractor (2000 #) would be of concern, but counter weight can be added to the left side.

Good part availability would be my main concern, if I were you.

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower
Thanks Beenthere

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #4  
Get the operator, parts and maintenance manuals so you'll know how to service the mower and adjust it when it starts to cut funny (they all do eventually). Also find a local source for parts. Tractor Supply has a limited selection of generic sicklebar parts (blade sections, rock guards, bolts, rivets, etc).

Good luck.

Thanks Flusher. While this appears to be a good buy, it doesn't completely eliminate the use of a weed whacker to keep the fence line or the ditch clear. Always open to ideas as it takes about a week just to do the 1/2 mile long ditch. The fence line is another story. Some areas have lots of blackberry vines.

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #6  
Some areas have lots of blackberry vines.

You will really like it for the blackberry's... beats getting up close and personal.

And that 1/2 mile run will be worth having it, even if it means some hand weed whacking. IMO
But you will do it so quick that it then will seem like a chore just to hook up the jiggle bar for such a short time.. happens with each new toy. (grin)

Attachments

• image-289826867.jpg
    image-289826867.jpg
    806.3 KB · Views: 404
   / Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #8  
Fluid I have an old JD model 5. I never used it as it was used by my wife's late husband. I have two broken casting on it now, so not going to invest any more money into it. Yard art!

In order to take advantage of this unit's hydraulics, I need to add another service connection. All kinds of learning opportunities.

/ Gaspardo Sickle Bar Mower #10  
snoho
Can you get the 3rd SCV kit for your 2720?

Pic shows it on a 4x00 tractor which is about a third more weight. Can you purchase the mower with proof your tractor will handle it?

Having a bit more tractor and an iMatch for quick attach will make switching it on and off much easier... just thinking.