Garage floor: Sealer or epoxy?

/ Garage floor: Sealer or epoxy? #81  
I have epoxied 3 workshop floors and highly recommend epoxy over sealer. A couple of thoughts:

- The first floor i used the Rust oleum brand from the box store and it held up pretty good for the first year then started to fail. The other two i used the industrial epoxy from Pittsburg paints and it has held up for well over 3 years. The idustrial epoxies have 75 to 90% solids vice the 25 to 40% in the Rust Oleum brands so after the solvent evaporates you end up with a thicker coating. The industrial cost more up front but if you calculate the cost of three coats of RO, the industrial version is cheaper in the end.

- Even new concrete needs to be etched. You can by the acid etch materials at your paint supplier. You mix it with water and flood the floor and then rinse when done bubbling. The sales rep recommended scubbing it into the floor while it is bubbling in order to ensure it get a good etch for the paint to grab hold of. I rented a floor buffer from HD and used it to go over the floor several times while the etch solution was bubbling. Depending on the size of the floor a stiff shop broom will work too.

- The epoxy recommended that you use a squeegy so you get the right thickness, but you can use a thick nap roller if you want. The key is that you have to apply it thick enough to cure and seal properly. Different brands will recommend the roller nap thickness.

- No matter what expoxy or sealer you use it will be slippery when wet if you don't use some type of additive. My personnal experience is that the paint chips spread ontop of the wet paint will tend to last longer garage flooring cincinnati. The silica additive provides better traction initially but tends to breakdown over time if you have any shearing action, ie. sliding material across the floor.

- No mater what what product you use, the prep work is the most important part of the process.

Good Luck,
Dave
I recently bought a house and I’ll be moving next month. I was considering having an epoxy shield coat professionally installed since I intend to be there long term. Has anyone had this done to their garage floor recently, and how much did you pay for it to have done? The one I am looking at is approximately $4100 and comes with a 20 year warranty for a 3-car garage that has approximately 600 sq feet. This price includes surface preparation of the existing concrete since the house is not brand new. Thanks

/ Garage floor: Sealer or epoxy? #82  
Not our garage but we did have our cabin floor epoxied. It was around 900 sq ft. and they came from a little over an hour away. They fixed all the cracks, put a base coat on and 1 color coat over that consisting of 3 different colors swirled together. If I remember correctly it was around $7k in Jan 2020, so your pricing sounds good.

IMG_3665.jpg
IMG_3708.jpg

/ Garage floor: Sealer or epoxy? #83  
P.S. on that epoxy floor they repaired. I expected the cracks to show up again, but 3 years later there's no sign there were ever any cracks.