Funeral Costs

/ Funeral Costs #63  
Yep . He’s referring to a “different” Catholic Church.

I went to a Vatican 2 semenary in 1986. Thank goodness I got out of that religion and became Catholic.

/ Funeral Costs #64  
Catholic Church has allowed cremation since 1963. They do not want the ashes scattered or divided up amongst loved ones, etc., scattered at sea, or kept in an urn in a home. They want the ashes kept together and buried in a cemetery, mausoleum, or other acceptable place of respect.
I know that the local RC and my own Anglican Church have a 'columbarium' for ashes & urns on the grounds.

/ Funeral Costs #66  
Mo, a belated sorry to hear for your loss.

While it's annoying to see this thread bumped by a spammer, I'm glad I had a chance to read it. It's always a shocker, seeing how much dying costs.

I told the wife that when I go I want to be a tree, to hell with the funeral industrial complex.

My father died last summer at age 90. He lived with us for 4 years.

Funeral home in NC to handle the cremation and paperwork $2,300

Funeral home in Pennsylvania to handle memorial service and taking care of logistics to the national cemetery $1,400

Burial at a National cemetery to be laid to rest with my mom in Pennsylvania $0

Lunch after the short service at the cemetery with open bar $1,300 (not bad for 60 to 70 people IMO).

Obituary in small local Pa newspaper $500

Donation to the priest who came to the service $200 (my dad wanted my cousin to do his service as he's a priest but had covid at the time, in hindsight, without my cousin there, we really did not need one there).

Total out the door under 6K

Ironically enough, as abrasive as a human as I can be, I've found funeral homes no different than real estate agents selling a home. People are quick to bash the professions, or people working in that profession, but having buried both my father and son last year, as well as buying our home 18 years ago along with selling my fathers home 4 years ago (while my dad lived with us 500 miles away from his home), I've found both professions priceless and the people who worked with myself and my wife invaluable for the services they offered.

I do remember when my aunt died in Pennsylvania about 11 years ago as I was the executor of her will. She didn't have much in savings, but she did take care of her funeral beforehand which I was extremely grateful for. Total costs however even back then for her as to what she paid for everything was about $8,000, but that was basically for the cemetery along with the funeral home only.

When it comes to our shells after we leave this life, I sincerely believe that with everything going on in the world, what is more important is how you lead your life and treat others. "Dust to dust", and given time, even our own earthly world will become dust.

My one aunt even told me "oh, you know the Russian Orthodox church doesn't allow cremation" when she found out the "plans" for my father. Well, first of all, my father was raised Roman Catholic and got kicked out of his church and was disowned for some time by some of his siblings for marrying a woman of Russian Orthodox faith, and he never converted to Russian Orthodox to begin with LOL

As I've gotten older I've come to understand that organized religion is run by men, not the God I know. And, as my cousin (who is a Russian Orthodox priest) told me, no where in the bible does it state that your body can't be cremated. Honestly, with all the crap going on in this world, if you really think what becomes of your body determines what happens to your soul, knock yourself out in your beliefs, but don't cast judgement on others. I would like to believe the God I've come to understand would actually like you to donate your body to science, but my fear is I get some young medical student that had my personality when I was his age and uses some part of my anatomy (or my body) as some kind of prank :ROFLMAO:

If you have accumulated any type of worldly wealth or possessions of value, I would do more than just a will, but also highly suggest set up a family trust. After my father passed, my parents already had a trust set up and it made my families life so much easier than having to deal with the court system. If anything should happen to myself or my wife, a good friend of mine who I would trust with my life is listed as the executor of our trust to help our 18 year old son (good kid IMO and I would hire him where I work in a heartbeat due to his work ethic, but he has other plans which is a good thing when he graduates high school) but there is no reason to burden him with any of this IMO for at least another 10-15 years if anything should happen to both my wife and I at the same time.

When my FIL passed two years ago, the biggest pain in the butt "thing" to deal with was a small od $700 trailer that was registered in his name only when they moved to NC from Vermont. No trust, simple will. However, having to deal with the court system and the NC DMV over that small trailer became a nightmare for both my wife and her mother.

/ Funeral Costs #67  
Hey there! I'm new to this forum, but I'd love to share my experience with funeral costs. When my grandma passed away last year, we had a traditional service for her at the nearby funeral service. The overall cost, including the burial and a beautiful monument, was around $10k. It was definitely an emotional time for our family, but we wanted to give her a proper farewell. We also want to get her a monument. We've already found **********************, but we're still looking for options to compare. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Seriously, first post? :ROFLMAO:

/ Funeral Costs #68  
Funerals are for the living not the dead. My dad told me he wanted the cheapest funeral possible for him. He said don’t piss away the money I’m leaving you on a funeral. Only thing in a casket is a pile of bones. I’m gonna be cremated and could care less if my ashes are put in the cat’s litter box. I ain’t on this planet anymore. Our souls go back to God awaiting judgement.

/ Funeral Costs #69  
Both of ours are prepaid actually. Even the headstone is set. Not a big plot as it will only be ashes in urns anyway.

/ Funeral Costs #70  
A family member died late last year and to handle the cremation, a handful of death certificates, and urn was around $3,500. Since COVID was listed on the death certificate part, or all, I can't remember how much, of the funeral cost was picked up by the US taxpayer/FEMA.

Funny thing, is we only had to send copies of the death certificates. Go figure.

There are certain professions that take special kinds of people to do the work, police, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, nurses, military service, and funeral home workers. I don't know how the people in the funeral home go to work each day but I am thankful they are there.