Full throttle to start

/ Full throttle to start #11  
My Ford/New Holland 1720 (1990’s vintage mechanical Diesel, cable throttle ):
Power the glow plugs for a count of “10” and then turn key to start. No throttle applied. Starts every time unless freezing cold or weeks since last start (then repeat glow plug/ignition). After start, apply throttle to normal rpm till warmed up.

/ Full throttle to start #12  
The manual for my Yanmar YM2310 says to open the throttle all the way and as soon as it starts to reduce the throttle setting. When it is warm out it will start easily at less than half throttle but when cold it starts much easier at full throttle. It bugs me to start a cold engine at wide open throttle setting but I guess Yanmar knows more about their engines than I do.
Eric

/ Full throttle to start #13  
All depends on what injection pump you have. My Bosch pumps advance the fuel to 100% and when the motor starts. immediately reduce the fuel to whatever the throttle is set at. How they work. What your pump does or don't do, I have no idea. Lots of different injections pumps out there.

/ Full throttle to start
All depends on what injection pump you have. My Bosch pumps advance the fuel to 100% and when the motor starts. immediately reduce the fuel to whatever the throttle is set at. How they work. What your pump does or don't do, I have no idea. Lots of different injections pumps out there.
Mower has always started with throttle all the way down. This started the last couple years. Began as just a small bump up, now has to be full to start and it will crank a few seconds to start even at full.

/ Full throttle to start #15  
The Isuzu starts at full throttle and immediately has to go to work (on generator) at that level, only about 1,800 rpm; I'm guessing.

/ Full throttle to start #16  
I’ve never heard of a (rule) that diesels need full throttle to start. Some diesels such as the p-pumped dodge Cummins need some throttle to start but not full.
My 1990 dodge starts at idle position except in very cold temps which requires some throttle.
I have some small diesels, Yanmar, Farymann & kubota that start at idle or slightly above.
The fact that your kubota is slowly needing more throttle to start tells me you have a developing issue.
Worn rings (low compression) or a defective glow plug are possibilities.
Injection pump or injectors may also need attention.
90cummins

/ Full throttle to start #17  
Could b several different things..
Have u been changing the fuel filter 2x a year.?
Have u checked the flow out of the supply pump (if equipped)
The pump/throttle linkage most likely has a “start spring”.. it’s a very thin, what we call a hair wound spring, to pull the pumps control rack to the start position “excess fuel”..
If said spring is weak or broken or the pumps control rack is sticking, overcoming the strength of the start spring, moving the throttle to wide open will most likely compensate for that condition, allowing the engine to start..
Or.. the pumping plungers inside the pump itself are worn from dirt/contaminates that they simply won’t pump the fuel to start the engine..
Or the injectors spray pattern is off, not allowing a complete fuel burn..
It’s anybody’s guess until u put a wrench on it..

/ Full throttle to start #18  
I’ve never heard of a (rule) that diesels need full throttle to start.
You lead a sheltered life then. Mechanically injected diesels all start at 100% fuel then immediately revert back the the previously set throttle position. Always been that way on Bosch style pumps. Don't know about others. Read the previous post. Pump Guy knows his chit. You don't. No clue on the new ECM controlled common rail diesels. Don't have any, don't want any.

/ Full throttle to start #20  
Lol.. I was biting my fingers trying not to respond.. I’ll leave it at that..lol
Thus forum is full of armchair experts that really don't know but always assume. Like my comment on the mis aligned pin bosses on Kubota backhoes and how I 'should' fix them. Gee, I've repaired at least 5 of them for my dealer. All the same, all repaired the same too. Don't need anyone's input, I know what is necessary and what is the most expeditious and easiest method and that is exactly what I do. I get paid to fix them, not use any method that entails excessive time and effort on my part.