Full throttle to start

/ Full throttle to start #1  

JBob

Bronze Member
I have a Grasshopper zero turn with a Kubota 22HP diesel engine. I think it's a D902. Currently has a just under 1000 hrs on it. It has gotten to the point that I must open the throttle wide open for it to start. This did not happen all at once. I have had to gradually increase the throttle to start it. Fuel filters are replaced religiously. After started it runs fine. Throttle response is good. If it's cold it's even harder to start. It's garage kept so it never that cold. Any suggestions appreciated.

/ Full throttle to start #2  
I'd try some Seafoam in the fuel. Saved me some carburetor removals on a number of gasoline engines when I had some (all battery now). Just started putting in it the Isuzu's 60 gallon underbelly tank and use it for the tractor, too.

/ Full throttle to start
I'd try some Seafoam in the fuel. Saved me some carburetor removals on a number of gasoline engines when I had some (all battery now). Just started putting in it the Isuzu's 60 gallon underbelly tank and use it for the tractor, too.
I'm a firm believer in Seafoam. I have ran it several times in the mower. Never saw a difference in the mower. I have gotten great results elsewhere.

/ Full throttle to start #4  
I said it once and I’ll say it again..
All mechanical injected Diesel engines, SHOULD BE started at OVER 1/2 to FULL THROTTLE..

/ Full throttle to start
All mechanical injected Diesel engines, SHOULD BE started at OVER 1/2 to FULL THROTTLE..

Bought the mower new in 2004. Never did have to go wide open to get it to start. I would be happy with half throttle.

/ Full throttle to start #6  

I'm sorry but I'm not cold starting any diesel with the throttle open that much. They start fine as it is with a little throttle.

/ Full throttle to start #7  
All our old Benzes needed about 1/2 throttle to start them in really cold weather. Also the 3 Yanmar JDs. You just start them and as soon as they quit shuddering, you bring the throttle back to idle. You don't let them race above idle speed cold.

Or get an Isuzu, VW or Kubota diesel. They will start without shuddering and not much or not throttle.

/ Full throttle to start #8  
Why? My G2160 rarely needs to start at more than fast idle. In warm weather I can leave it at idle setting and it fires right up. Cold weather maybe 1/3rd but that is it

/ Full throttle to start #9  
My JD owners manual says just open the throttle slightly. It will start no matter what but they want it just off idle. An engine that requires open throttle has a problem IMO.

/ Full throttle to start #10  
...and I'll say again that of the engine has a Bosch style injection pump (which all Kubota diesels are equipped with), when starting them, the pump will automatically advance to full throttle and as soon as the engine starts will ****** to the preset throttle position.

I never advance my throttle, don't have to if the pump is operating correctly. I never ,never use Sea Foam in my diesels. Sea Foam is a solvent and as such, breaks down the boundary layer that the pumps and injector pintles require. The ULSD fuel is hard enough on micro honed pump surfaces and pintles as it is. Why reduce it even more.