Oil & Fuel Fuel Pump Timing Help??

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #81  
It's good to see you found the problem. Do you still think the hydro pump seal was leaking or do you think it was the injector pump all along.

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help??
gary,
Yep, hydraulic pump seal was bad. Even sitting down in the recessed area of the pump you could see a crack visible all the way through the circular spring retainer before I removed and replaced with the new seal.
As for the injection pump...someone has been in there before me and I'm not sure why...and I'd bet they weren't sure why either. It was the sudden and unexpected loss of power and performance that made me try to connect both pump problems together....there just isn't anyway they can be related.

Cord, I have a dial indicator but am not sure how that could help me. The dial indicator would certainly measure pump plunger travel but can't help me measure the internal pressure of each. I need a total (combined) pressure of 2275 PSI from the injection pump to the injectors. That is my dilemma...no test equipment to test individual pump plungers to produce an equal and combined pressure of the above psi.

Good thinking though and I really appreciate the suggestions.

Mark

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #83  
Hi Mark,

Glad to read you are making some progress on the FI problem.

I think what Cord had in mind was to use the dial indicator was to find TDC and with know data, how far down the piston is for various degrees of advance.

As I've said before this is not my strong suit. IMO since fluid is incompressable, pressure will go infinate unless there is a means to relief/control pressure. This would be with the injectors and possibly if there was some other overpressure device within the pump assy. Think all the shiming will do is fine tune the timing. Could be all wrong but is what strikes me as what controls pressure and timing.

Hope you keep make progress. Don't forget Ernie said he had a spare pump.

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #84  
I would think any good deisel service center would be able to shim and calibrate that pump, there's nothing that unusual about it I would think.........

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #85  
Mark I always seem to be an advertisement for them but I just saw in my local flyer an injector pump pressure tester at harbour freight. I recall around $20.00.

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #86  
These are for EFI used in cars. Only reads up to 100 psi. Diesels need something on the order of 2000 psi.

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #87  
Yeah, blow that thing all over the place /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Fuel Pump Timing Help?? #89  
please provide a picture of timing fuel pump